News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
25% of consumers say online shopping beats in-store at Christmas
A quarter of online shoppers believe that online shopping is a much better experience than in-store at Christmas, according to the latest eCustomerService Index from eDigitalResearch and IMRG.
Better product ranges and special deals puts online shopping ahead of in-store shopping at Christmas time for 25% of the 2,000 online shoppers surveyed for the latest Index.
Crowded stores, checkout queues and sparse staffing was cited by 42% as reasons they perceive the in-store shopping experience at Christmas deteriorates.
Very few (7%) felt online shopping worsened over the Christmas period.
It's no surprise to learn, therefore, that nearly all (96%) of respondents plan to shop online this Christmas, where 48% plan to do at least half of their shopping.
Mobile will also play a significant role this Christmas. Nearly two-thirds (64%) of online shoppers plan to use their mobile device to shop this year. According to Andy Mulcahy, editor at IMRG, "we've seen sales through mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) grow rapidly over the past few years, accounting for 23% of online sales in Q2 of 2013 with site visits at 34%" adding that "to put in perspective the rate at which confidence in the channel has grown, three years ago at the start of 2010, sales through mobile devices stood at just 0.4% of online sales".
Retailers must ensure their mobile offerings are up to standard. Recent research in the UK from Eptica found that consumers expect mobile website experiences to be every bit as good as those on the Internet yet many (52%) aren't having their expectations met.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- "Abandon Cart Emails" - Why We Don't Buy
For this paper, sponsored by Magento and Bronto Software, over 1,000 online shoppers were surveyed about their awareness of shopping...
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...