News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
25% of consumers say online shopping beats in-store at Christmas
A quarter of online shoppers believe that online shopping is a much better experience than in-store at Christmas, according to the latest eCustomerService Index from eDigitalResearch and IMRG.
Better product ranges and special deals puts online shopping ahead of in-store shopping at Christmas time for 25% of the 2,000 online shoppers surveyed for the latest Index.
Crowded stores, checkout queues and sparse staffing was cited by 42% as reasons they perceive the in-store shopping experience at Christmas deteriorates.
Very few (7%) felt online shopping worsened over the Christmas period.
It's no surprise to learn, therefore, that nearly all (96%) of respondents plan to shop online this Christmas, where 48% plan to do at least half of their shopping.
Mobile will also play a significant role this Christmas. Nearly two-thirds (64%) of online shoppers plan to use their mobile device to shop this year. According to Andy Mulcahy, editor at IMRG, "we've seen sales through mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) grow rapidly over the past few years, accounting for 23% of online sales in Q2 of 2013 with site visits at 34%" adding that "to put in perspective the rate at which confidence in the channel has grown, three years ago at the start of 2010, sales through mobile devices stood at just 0.4% of online sales".
Retailers must ensure their mobile offerings are up to standard. Recent research in the UK from Eptica found that consumers expect mobile website experiences to be every bit as good as those on the Internet yet many (52%) aren't having their expectations met.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....