News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Twitter tests selected in-text auto-Tweets with New York Times
Hot on the heels of Twitter's announcement of Related Headlines, a feature that automatically lists relevant stories alongside Tweets, comes the microblogging platform's experiment with highlighted Tweet text.
Twitter's current system formats links to articles with the headline as the Tweet content. However, if a new experiment being carried out with the New York Times is successful, Twitter users could soon be able to select Tweetable text direct from an article, instead of the headline.
To see, and take part in, the experiment, head on over to the article "The God of 'SNL' Will See You Now". Notice the highlighted areas of text with the Twitter bird icon? Clicking on these highlighted areas allows a reader to instantly Tweet that section of text via the usual automated pop-up box.
Readers aren't left to decide which text is directly Tweetable. Instead, as the writer of the SNL article, Dave Itzkoff, told Poynter, it requires the author to select what they believe would best represent the article. Itzkoff explained that it was "just a bit of guesswork" and that he was trying to establish what would engage readers and, at the same time, "make the best travelling billboards for the overall story".
The New York Times has reported seeing an eleven-fold rise in the number of Tweets for the article, although whether this is more to do with people checking out the new Twitter feature is yet to be seen.
- What to expect on the video front in 2014
- How to create a solid A/B testing strategy
- Reports: Brands need strategy for mobile success
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
Featured White Papers
- How-to Guide to Online Customer Community Technologies
This Gleansight benchmark report explores what community experiences offer the greatest value to businesses. It looks at what technologies, processes...
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...