News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips for influencer-geared campaigns
The social space is ripe with consumers who are engaging with brands. But how can the brand repay those advocates to share product launches, offer information to their followers and otherwise spread the word? In some cases, a simple 'thank you'. Here's how:
Greg Shove, CEO, SocialChorus: Brands need to selectively build relationships with their brand advocates, not simply reach out to any influencer who will tweet on their behalf. Owning the relationship with your advocates means that the brand is not just dipping into a pool of influencers that are being reused over and over by different brands. Developing long-term relationships with advocates is much more valuable than having a person with thousands of followers tweet for your brand one time. And it opens up the opportunity for brands to create lifelong customers who create lifelong customers.
Kristina: How important is it to identify true social influencers?
Greg: Brands shouldn't enlist just any influencer to advocate for their brands; they need actual brand advocates who already like their brand and are willing to endorse them. Advocates are better than influencers for several reasons: they require less incentive, they are willing to endorse the brand more often because they legitimately like the brand, they don't promote one brand one day and a different brand the next. Most brands have thousands, if not tens of thousands of advocates. When mobilized they provide more reach and more impact than influencers alone.
Kristina: What are your top tips for creating an influencer campaign?
Greg: • Trust your advocates. Many brands initially want to be very prescriptive when it comes to asking advocates to share content and stories because they think a more prescriptive approach is the best way to mitigate risk. The reality is that a less prescriptive approach is more effective. Advocates know their audience better than the brand and product content that more trusted and creative than anything the brand could've prescribed. By worrying less about the negative, brands have the opportunity to receive high-quality, creative content in return.
• Recognition is a powerful form of thanks. Many brands assume that providing "value" to advocates requires a huge budget but the reality is when it comes to advocates value doesn't equal dollars. What is valuable to an advocate depends on what kind of advocates you are working with. Blogger, consumer and employee advocates all require different and varying types of "thank yous". One of the most effective types of thanks a brand can give an advocate is recognition - consumer and employee brand advocates want to feel like their voice is being heard and when a brand recognizes an advocates, it builds brand loyalty.
• Conversations are always on. Just like you wouldn't turn off your Facebook page - you can't turn off your advocates. Once you activate your advocates, you open up the opportunity to create a lifelong customer. Advocates are talking about brands 24 hours of the day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year - and brands have the opportunity to be a part of those conversations.
You can read part one of my chat with Greg and SocialChorus, including how to identify an influencer, here.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...