News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
The number of Internet users blocking ads is rising
Facebook ads in news feeds and in the social network's mobile app don't sit well with British users, research from Adblock Plus has discovered, while adblocking detection firm PageFair reveals that adblocking rates are rising.
A survey of 2,244 people in the UK has revealed that the majority do not like ads on Facebook whether in the news feed (66% dislike) or in the mobile app (69%).
It's not just on Facebook that ads annoy the Brits - over half (51%) say that tailored ads online invade their privacy.
Founder of Adblock Plus, Till Faida, is naturally supportive of end users' ability to tailor their online experience if that means blocking out ads. In fact, Faida emphasizes that "while it may seem intuitive that people will stick with a platform where their friends are, they may choose to either alter their experience or move to a new platform altogether".
In other research, this time from Dublin-based PageFair, a company that helps websites detect whether their ads are being blocked, adblocking has been seen to rise at a rate of 43% per year.
In PageFair's August 2013 report, it is revealed that almost one quarter (22.7%) of web users are blocking ads, although it should be mentioned that the websites scrutinized were those of companies who had approached PageFair because they feared ads on their websites were being blocked.
"This high adblocking rate translates directly into revenue loss for advertising-funded web businesses. One typical PageFair client site suffers from 25% adblocking, costing them nearly $500,000 per year," says the report (.pdf). "This scale of revenue loss can be fatal. Indeed, several sites that formerly reported data to PageFair are no longer online."
- Unilever to up digital spend following display ad trial
- FreeWheel: Video ad views up 24% YoY
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...