News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study highlights importance of mobile-first email strategies
A new report from Yesmail Interactive reveals that, while almost half of email opens happen on a mobile device, the average click-to-open rate across all industries is 100% higher on a desktop.
In their analysis of more than 5 billion marketing emails in Q2 2013, Yesmail found that, while more consumers are opening email on a mobile device, marketers aren't optimizing such that consumers will go on to click to open email.
Almost half (49%) of all email opens now happen on a mobile device, found Yesmail, but the number of consumers clicking on an email after open is just 11%, half the click-to-open rate on a desktop (23%).
According to Michael Fisher, president of Yesmail Interactive, the findings suggest marketers aren't providing consumers with the mobile email experience they want.
"The discrepancy between click-to-open rates means many consumers are disregarding mobile emails," said Fisher. "Brands need to implement mobile-first strategies that rely on responsive design, customized content and easily clickable calls to action. Otherwise, their messages will be deleted or go unread."
Other findings from the study include:
- 61% of active users view emails either exclusively on a mobile, or using both mobile and desktop interchangeably;
- A third of consumers are 'device-agnostic', viewing emails on both desktop and mobile interchangeably without a commitment to one over the other;
- 82% of mobile email activity comes from Apple and 17% from Android;
- Consumer services companies such as Groupon or Yelp, have the best email interaction on mobile, with mobile click-to-open rates of nearly 20% versus just 2% for financial services emails.
- The most effective email frequency is three to seven emails per week. Companies with the highest percentage of active email subscribers email at least once every other day.
For more on mobile-first email strategies, including how to leverage mobile functionality to promote on-the-go engagement, check out Yesmail's webinar.
Image via Shutterstock
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...