News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: App developers need to up their testing
The big takeaway from a new study commissioned by SOASTA: that app developers need to do more testing. While many developers do test apps for crashing, functionality and user experience, new data from their study indicates a majority of app users (over age 18) are concerned about performance.
Study researchers found three-quarters (77%) of mobile users are concerned about app performance before they buy and that half (51%) of app developers say they 'don't have time' to properly test apps before release.
"User experience is top of the agenda in mobile today, and by taking an automated cloud-based testing approach and understanding your audience better with real user monitoring, developers can make sure their apps are ready for prime time," said Tom Lounibos, SOASTA CEO.
The SOASTA study, conducted through surveys by Harris Interactive (consumer base) and uSamp (IT pros and developers) found that 77% of consumers 'have concerns' about mobile app performance. Those concerns do keep some from purchasing. The biggest worry from a consumer standpoint:
• 58% worry about bugs
• 57% worry about crashes
• 48% worry about performance
Meanwhile, the study found that while many app developers are testing, a great number are either not testing or not testing enough to find glitches before release. Some of the reasons developers aren't testing include the costs of testing and time it takes to test (51%). Meanwhile one-third say they don't have access to a good, Fremium testing option or that they don't understand the testing software they do have.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...