News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Personalization falling short of personal
When it comes to online engagement, all the experts are telling brands to personalize. Use names or note previous purchases. Personalization, after all, shows the brands cares and knows about the customer. But new data out from SimpleRelevance indicates these personalization efforts aren't enough and in some cases customers still aren't targeted correctly.
Especially for brands trying to engage customers from email messaging, targeting efforts may be falling flat. According to new data out from SimpleRelevance, brands are relying too much on general information - a customer's name, for example - rather than couple that personal touch with customer behavior like when they click messages.
"Data has made it very easy for marketers to interact with each individual customer the way they prefer to be engaged - personalizing subject lines, sending email at the best time for each customer, offering products they'd genuinely be interested in," said Erik Severinghaus, founder and CEO of SimpleRelevance. "The issue is that many marketers use just one piece of that data to "personalize" the interaction, and time and again it falls short of customer expectations. Our study proves the problem and we can solve it."
Rather than segmenting audiences based on similar demographic profiles, the SimpleRelevance report suggests retailers treat each targeting effort it is unique. Some interesting findings include:
• Customers open emails 23 of every 24 hours but 62% only click through to websites during a single hour
• Men are more likely to click through emails in the early morning
• Women are more likely to click through in the afternoon/evening
• Those with household incomes over $150,000 are more likely to click between 5am and 8am
• Those with household incomes under $75,000 are more likely to click between 9am and 8pm
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...