News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: CPG brands up coupon distribution
Consumer Package Goods (CPG) brands have upped the ante - in more ways than one - in the coupon space. First, they've upped the number of coupons distributed in the US, and second, many have decreased the redemption time period.
New data out from NCH Marketing Services notes that overall coupon distribution increased about 1% (168 billion coupons) through the first six months of 2013, but overall redemption has decreased more than 8% in the same time period. Researchers found that CPG brands have shortened expiration dates and increased the number of coupons requiring the purchase of 2 or more products. The face values have also increased. Other interesting findings include:
• 62% of coupons distributed were non-food items, up 2.9% from 2012
• 91% of coupons were distributed through free standing inserts (FSIs)
• Digital coupons represent less than 1% of all distributed coupons
"CPG marketers continue to turn to the FSI to drive volume and market share through the significant advertising impact of FSI pages, and to align their offers with retailers that are increasing their use of the FSI," said Suzie Brown, Valassis Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing. "At the same time, they are also expanding the use of digital formats that continue to grow but on a smaller scale. For marketers, it's about finding the right media mix and defining the coupon characteristics to both activate consumers and still drive ROI for their brand."
While digital coupons still represent only about 1% of all coupons distributed, it is interesting to note the redemption rate of those offers is now over 6% (print at home coupons) and 2.5% (paperless coupons).
Shoppers saved just over $1 billion by using coupons during the first half of 2013.
Image via Shutterstock
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
- How to build loyalty through games
- Weekend Shopping Roundup: Mobile hot, social is not
- Top 3 tips to improve SMB security
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...