News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Number of social media users age 65+ triples
In its first incarnation, Facebook was a realm inhabited by youngsters - college students to be more precise. But, since flinging open the doors to all who cared to enter, the social network and, indeed, many other social media sites, have been increasingly adopted by older adults, as recent research from the Pew Research Center has shown.
While younger adults remain the predominant demographic on social networks, Pew's 'Pulse of the Internet' reveals the continuing rise of older users. Today, six out of 10 Internet users between the ages of 50 to 64 are on social networks, such as Twitter, Facebook and MySpace.
Furthermore, while just 13% of those over the age of 65 were users of social networking in 2009, that figure has tripled to 43%.
While Facebook is where the majority of older demographics can be found, Twitter, which has doubled its share of Internet users to 18% since 2010, remains mostly in the hands of the young. Thirty percent of Twitter users are between the ages of 18 and 29.
Overall, Pew's research found that nearly three-quarters (72%) of online adults now use some type of social network, a massive hike since 2005 when only 8% did so. However, the likes of Google+ and Facebook were either non-existent or restricted to youngsters back then. Among young adults between the ages of 18 and 29, 89% now use social media, as do 78% of those between the ages of 30 and 49.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...