News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Number of social media users age 65+ triples
In its first incarnation, Facebook was a realm inhabited by youngsters - college students to be more precise. But, since flinging open the doors to all who cared to enter, the social network and, indeed, many other social media sites, have been increasingly adopted by older adults, as recent research from the Pew Research Center has shown.
While younger adults remain the predominant demographic on social networks, Pew's 'Pulse of the Internet' reveals the continuing rise of older users. Today, six out of 10 Internet users between the ages of 50 to 64 are on social networks, such as Twitter, Facebook and MySpace.
Furthermore, while just 13% of those over the age of 65 were users of social networking in 2009, that figure has tripled to 43%.
While Facebook is where the majority of older demographics can be found, Twitter, which has doubled its share of Internet users to 18% since 2010, remains mostly in the hands of the young. Thirty percent of Twitter users are between the ages of 18 and 29.
Overall, Pew's research found that nearly three-quarters (72%) of online adults now use some type of social network, a massive hike since 2005 when only 8% did so. However, the likes of Google+ and Facebook were either non-existent or restricted to youngsters back then. Among young adults between the ages of 18 and 29, 89% now use social media, as do 78% of those between the ages of 30 and 49.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Most want loyalty to be mobile
- Expert: Data key to video strategy
- Study: Half of loyalty club members want retail redemption options
- Unilever to up digital spend following display ad trial
- FreeWheel: Video ad views up 24% YoY
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...