News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
New Gmail tabbed format encourages users to read more marketing messages
Marketers that are concerned the new Gmail tabbed format will negatively affect consumer interaction with marketing messages need not worry, according to new research conducted by Return Path.
When the email intelligence firm analyzed the early effects of Gmail's new tabbed format, in which emails are separated out under various tabs including 'primary', 'social', and 'promotion', they found that users who are "routinely engaged" with email marketing messages are actually reading more of them - up 2.11%.
Meanwhile, among "moderately engaged" Gmail users, which make up the bulk of the audience, read rates dipped slightly (-8.3%) to 9.81% from 10.55%. However, this decline can be explained, in part, by the decrease in marketing messages being sent to the spam folder so, in effect, these users have received more marketing messages since Gmail's changes.
"Clearly it's too early to make a meaningful pronouncement about Gmail's Tabs' true effect on user behavior or email marketing's effectiveness," comments Return Path in the report. "Although the early indications suggest that most marketers can stop worrying about Gmail crippling their email response rates, there are two opposing forces that may decide how subscribers ultimately react to these changes: novelty and habit."
Return Path's entire report findings can be read online.
- Study IDs keys to influencer marketing
- Top 3 tips to a better tech startup
- Study: TV a priority for many Millennials
- UK: Dark Social sharing of Olympics a way to avoid spoilers?
- Loyalty schemes require more relevancy and personalization
- Expert: Why timing of brand connection is more important than ever
- Verizon to acquire Yahoo, what it means
- Just 6% of consumers always leave a review
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...