News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
New Gmail tabbed format encourages users to read more marketing messages
Marketers that are concerned the new Gmail tabbed format will negatively affect consumer interaction with marketing messages need not worry, according to new research conducted by Return Path.
When the email intelligence firm analyzed the early effects of Gmail's new tabbed format, in which emails are separated out under various tabs including 'primary', 'social', and 'promotion', they found that users who are "routinely engaged" with email marketing messages are actually reading more of them - up 2.11%.
Meanwhile, among "moderately engaged" Gmail users, which make up the bulk of the audience, read rates dipped slightly (-8.3%) to 9.81% from 10.55%. However, this decline can be explained, in part, by the decrease in marketing messages being sent to the spam folder so, in effect, these users have received more marketing messages since Gmail's changes.
"Clearly it's too early to make a meaningful pronouncement about Gmail's Tabs' true effect on user behavior or email marketing's effectiveness," comments Return Path in the report. "Although the early indications suggest that most marketers can stop worrying about Gmail crippling their email response rates, there are two opposing forces that may decide how subscribers ultimately react to these changes: novelty and habit."
Return Path's entire report findings can be read online.
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...