News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Microsoft Tag to be terminated
The Tag service is being terminated, according to a recent announcement from Microsoft, just a few years after it was launched.
When Microsoft launched its scannable Tag service in 2009, the company decided to go down the proprietary software route. Bad move. QR codes were to take over, despite Tag's decent penetration into the print market.
So now, the Tag service, which currently gets about 2 million scans per month, a fraction of the estimated 100 million QR scans, is coming to an end in two years time - August, 2015.
In the termination announcement, Microsoft advises that, as of next month (18 September), ScanLife will be supporting Tag technology and will offer users "transition and migration" help to those who choose to migrate to the ScanLife platform.
"Microsoft is constantly reviewing its core business objectives and realigning its efforts to match those objectives," the company told The Seattle Times. "Microsoft still believes that Tag is an important digital technology. Running Microsoft Tag as a service, however, does not align with our other initiatives."
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
- How to build loyalty through games
- Weekend Shopping Roundup: Mobile hot, social is not
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...