News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
McAfee announces record-breaking number of malware strains
A new report from McAfee Labs reveals the growth in the number of new mobile security threats identified in the second quarter of 2013, the highest rate of growth witnessed by McAfee in the last few years.
According to McAfee Labs, the rise in new malware of all types is sure to mean a recording breaking year. Just mid-way through 2013, the labs have already collected as many mobile samples as they did in all of 2012.
New types of malware exceeded 18 million in the second quarter of 2013 "pushing our all-time tally to more than 147 million binaries", says the online security firm in its second quarter "Threats Report".
The most popular mobile threats are backdoor Trojans and banking malware, with 17,000 new Android samples found in Q2 2013. Levels of AutoRun threats and signed malware are also showing record levels, and levels of suspicious URLs are up.
"As in other mature areas of cybercrime, the profit motive of hacking bank accounts has eclipsed the technical challenges of bypassing digital trust," said Vincent Weafer, senior vice president, McAfee Labs. "Tactics such as the dating and entertainment app scams benefit from the lack of attention paid to such schemes; while others simply target the mobile paradigm's most popular currency: personal user information."
Meanwhile, most consumers are now comfortable using a mobile device to access financial accounts. Recent research from Mojiva found that almost three-quarters now using banking apps or access a mobile banking website at least once a week, while just over half (56%) usie a credit card app or mobile website at least once a week.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...