News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Maximizing user experience will increase rankings in Apple's App Store
App marketers and developers can no longer rely on massive download numbers to get them to the top of the Apple Store rankings. Instead, a positive app experience generating high app ratings will play a significant role.
A recent blog post from mobile user acquisition platform Fiksu discusses changes observed in Apples app store ranking algorithm and the rate at which App Store rank positioning is updated.
According to Fiksu's senior client development manager, Tom Cummings, these changes indicate Apple now appears "to be emphatically linking user ratings and app rankings".
Finally, an acknowledgement of quality over quantity.
Fiksu observed that apps with ratings of 4 or more stars were boosted in rank during late July, with little change since. Meanwhile, apps with ratings of less than 3 stars began falling in rank. Furthermore, Fiksu observed some evidence rankings were based on ratings for the most recent version of an app.
The rate at which the App Store rankings are updated has changed, increasing from every 15 minutes to every 3 hours. This move to lengthen time between updates could, says Fiksu, be a way to prevent rank manipulation.
"Three hours allows enough time to identify anomalies and remove apps before they suddenly appear at the top of rankings," writes Cummings.
Image via Shutterstock
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...