News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
LinkedIn gives high school students access to University profiles
As of mid-September, LinkedIn is lowering the minimum age to create a profile, to allow high school students to engage with Universities and their graduates.
It's free to set up a LinkedIn profile, the company gets its revenue, in part, from charging fees for premium access and sells advertising space. And, from 12 September, high school students will also become eligible to partake in the professional networking service.
The reason for lowering the minimum age requirement is simple - it will allow high school students to access a new feature called University Pages. Around 200 Universities already have profiles on LinkedIn, and by allowing students access to these profiles they will be able to learn about what is on offer and connect with other students and graduates.
The minimum age will vary by country. In most countries the minimum age will be 13 but, the U.S., Australia, Canada, Germany, South Korea and Spain, the minimum age will be 14, in the Netherlands 16 and in China 18.
"Smart, ambitious students are already thinking about their futures when they step foot into high school - where they want to go to college, what they want to study, where they want to live and work," says Eric Heath, Director of Legal - Global Privacy and Public Policy at LinkedIn. "We want to encourage these students to leverage the insights and connections of the millions of successful professionals on LinkedIn, so they can make the most informed decisions and start their careers off right."
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...