News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
LinkedIn gives high school students access to University profiles
As of mid-September, LinkedIn is lowering the minimum age to create a profile, to allow high school students to engage with Universities and their graduates.
It's free to set up a LinkedIn profile, the company gets its revenue, in part, from charging fees for premium access and sells advertising space. And, from 12 September, high school students will also become eligible to partake in the professional networking service.
The reason for lowering the minimum age requirement is simple - it will allow high school students to access a new feature called University Pages. Around 200 Universities already have profiles on LinkedIn, and by allowing students access to these profiles they will be able to learn about what is on offer and connect with other students and graduates.
The minimum age will vary by country. In most countries the minimum age will be 13 but, the U.S., Australia, Canada, Germany, South Korea and Spain, the minimum age will be 14, in the Netherlands 16 and in China 18.
"Smart, ambitious students are already thinking about their futures when they step foot into high school - where they want to go to college, what they want to study, where they want to live and work," says Eric Heath, Director of Legal - Global Privacy and Public Policy at LinkedIn. "We want to encourage these students to leverage the insights and connections of the millions of successful professionals on LinkedIn, so they can make the most informed decisions and start their careers off right."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
- Retailers: Why you need live online assistance for the 2014 holidays
- Top 3 tips to create better transactional email messages
- Facebook enables ad targeting by connection speed
- UK: Lousy public holiday weather drives take-out food search surge
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...