News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Global ecommerce sales top U.S.$1 trillion
An increasing number of shoppers in Europe are turning to the Internet, according to a new report from Hamburg-based research firm yStats.com, with global annual sales nearing $1.3 trillion.
According to yStat.com's latest figures, "B2C ecommerce is booming" across the globe, and the numbers of zeros in the overall sales figures pay testament to that.
Ecommerce now accounts for just over 5% of total global sales.
The U.S. has traditionally dominated e-commerce sales, with roughly one dollar out of every twenty of retail sales spent online. However, yStats.com's figures suggest that the Asia-Pacific region will outpace the U.S. by the end of this year.
"Western Europe will continue in third place globally. The share of Eastern Europe of global ecommerce has been increasing up to 2012, but will likely decrease steadily through 2016 as other emerging regions increase their share," says yStats.com's report, "Global B2C E-Commerce Sales and Shares Report 2013".
Likewise, the share of global sales of those three largest B2C ecommerce markets, the US, Japan, and UK, is expected to decrease steadily from this year onward, as other countries increasingly adopt online shopping.
Image via Shutterstock
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...