News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook to test mobile payment service, but will Brits get on board?
The media is awash with news that the social networking behemoth is to start testing a new service aimed at allowing Facebook users to make purchases with just their Facebook login, but will consumers in the UK trust a service not operated by a bank?
Within a month or so, a small test will be implemented by Facebook that could really give a boost to mobile payments. It's not about making payments in stores, instead, Facebook's mobile payment service will use details added by users to their Facebook account to automatically fill in forms when they make purchases on mobile apps.
PayPal already has a big slice of the mobile payment pie, and Facebook users can already make purchases on the social network using their services. Last year, 10% of PayPal's total payment volume ($14 billion) came via mobile devices. And they're not scared of a little shake-up. A PayPal spokesperson told AllThingsD "we always welcome competition and are looking forward to seeing what Facebook will announce".
But, will consumers in the UK trust an outfit like Facebook to deliver mobile payment services? The mobile payment market is currently fragmented in the UK, dominated by PayPal Mobile, used by 64% of respondents to a survey by payment systems firm VocaLink. However, the vast majority (81%) said they would be more likely to use mobile payments if the service was offered by their bank.
Image via Shutterstock
- SMBs: What to look for in your next device
- 3 ways analytics may be clouding your strategy
- Why brands need to know document search
- Half of cybersecurity experts say mobile payments are not secure
- Amazon the go-to place for consumers to search for products
- Which holiday season promos will motivate consumers to buy?
- Display ad revenues continue to rise despite ad blocking
- Mobile camera functionality key to capturing Millennials' loyalty
Featured White Papers
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...