News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook to test mobile payment service, but will Brits get on board?
The media is awash with news that the social networking behemoth is to start testing a new service aimed at allowing Facebook users to make purchases with just their Facebook login, but will consumers in the UK trust a service not operated by a bank?
Within a month or so, a small test will be implemented by Facebook that could really give a boost to mobile payments. It's not about making payments in stores, instead, Facebook's mobile payment service will use details added by users to their Facebook account to automatically fill in forms when they make purchases on mobile apps.
PayPal already has a big slice of the mobile payment pie, and Facebook users can already make purchases on the social network using their services. Last year, 10% of PayPal's total payment volume ($14 billion) came via mobile devices. And they're not scared of a little shake-up. A PayPal spokesperson told AllThingsD "we always welcome competition and are looking forward to seeing what Facebook will announce".
But, will consumers in the UK trust an outfit like Facebook to deliver mobile payment services? The mobile payment market is currently fragmented in the UK, dominated by PayPal Mobile, used by 64% of respondents to a survey by payment systems firm VocaLink. However, the vast majority (81%) said they would be more likely to use mobile payments if the service was offered by their bank.
Image via Shutterstock
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...