News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook to test mobile payment service, but will Brits get on board?
The media is awash with news that the social networking behemoth is to start testing a new service aimed at allowing Facebook users to make purchases with just their Facebook login, but will consumers in the UK trust a service not operated by a bank?
Within a month or so, a small test will be implemented by Facebook that could really give a boost to mobile payments. It's not about making payments in stores, instead, Facebook's mobile payment service will use details added by users to their Facebook account to automatically fill in forms when they make purchases on mobile apps.
PayPal already has a big slice of the mobile payment pie, and Facebook users can already make purchases on the social network using their services. Last year, 10% of PayPal's total payment volume ($14 billion) came via mobile devices. And they're not scared of a little shake-up. A PayPal spokesperson told AllThingsD "we always welcome competition and are looking forward to seeing what Facebook will announce".
But, will consumers in the UK trust an outfit like Facebook to deliver mobile payment services? The mobile payment market is currently fragmented in the UK, dominated by PayPal Mobile, used by 64% of respondents to a survey by payment systems firm VocaLink. However, the vast majority (81%) said they would be more likely to use mobile payments if the service was offered by their bank.
Image via Shutterstock
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...