News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook to test mobile payment service, but will Brits get on board?
The media is awash with news that the social networking behemoth is to start testing a new service aimed at allowing Facebook users to make purchases with just their Facebook login, but will consumers in the UK trust a service not operated by a bank?
Within a month or so, a small test will be implemented by Facebook that could really give a boost to mobile payments. It's not about making payments in stores, instead, Facebook's mobile payment service will use details added by users to their Facebook account to automatically fill in forms when they make purchases on mobile apps.
PayPal already has a big slice of the mobile payment pie, and Facebook users can already make purchases on the social network using their services. Last year, 10% of PayPal's total payment volume ($14 billion) came via mobile devices. And they're not scared of a little shake-up. A PayPal spokesperson told AllThingsD "we always welcome competition and are looking forward to seeing what Facebook will announce".
But, will consumers in the UK trust an outfit like Facebook to deliver mobile payment services? The mobile payment market is currently fragmented in the UK, dominated by PayPal Mobile, used by 64% of respondents to a survey by payment systems firm VocaLink. However, the vast majority (81%) said they would be more likely to use mobile payments if the service was offered by their bank.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile gaming makes people happier than socnets
- Ad Roundup: Experience key to releases, partnerships
- Top 3 SEO strategies to implement now
- 2030 and the death of Britain's town centers
- Buy online, pickup in-store not the 'smooth' process shoppers demand
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and a malware offer
- Marketers believe AI will revolutionize industry, but lack understanding
- Expert IDs trends to watch in IT
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...