News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook to test mobile payment service, but will Brits get on board?
The media is awash with news that the social networking behemoth is to start testing a new service aimed at allowing Facebook users to make purchases with just their Facebook login, but will consumers in the UK trust a service not operated by a bank?
Within a month or so, a small test will be implemented by Facebook that could really give a boost to mobile payments. It's not about making payments in stores, instead, Facebook's mobile payment service will use details added by users to their Facebook account to automatically fill in forms when they make purchases on mobile apps.
PayPal already has a big slice of the mobile payment pie, and Facebook users can already make purchases on the social network using their services. Last year, 10% of PayPal's total payment volume ($14 billion) came via mobile devices. And they're not scared of a little shake-up. A PayPal spokesperson told AllThingsD "we always welcome competition and are looking forward to seeing what Facebook will announce".
But, will consumers in the UK trust an outfit like Facebook to deliver mobile payment services? The mobile payment market is currently fragmented in the UK, dominated by PayPal Mobile, used by 64% of respondents to a survey by payment systems firm VocaLink. However, the vast majority (81%) said they would be more likely to use mobile payments if the service was offered by their bank.
Image via Shutterstock
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...