News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook removes requirement for third-party apps in promotions
Great news for Facebook marketers and users. Significant changes to how promotions and contests are run on the social network does away with the need for third-party apps.
Third-party promotional app developers, such as Offerpop, enable businesses on Facebook to run promotions and competitions on the social network - the only way to do so, until now.
Facebook has announced the removal of "the requirement that promotions on Facebook only be administered through apps. Now, promotions may be administered on Page Timelines and in apps on Facebook". For marketers with small budgets and those who want to shoot off a quick competition to Fans, this is great news.
While easing up on some elements of running a promotion on Facebook, the social network is tightening up on others. In a recent blog post, the company reiterated that users' personal Timelines must not be used to administer promotions. For example, instructions such as "share on your Timeline to enter" are not permitted.
Tagging behavior has been highlighted, too, to ensure users are not encouraged to tag themselves in images in which they don't appear. No longer can a business ask a user to tag themselves in an image, say, of a new product if that user does not appear in the image.
While the likes of Rafflecopter, Wildfire and Offerpop won't be overly happy with Facebook's changes, the benefits of running promotions through apps will continue to appeal to many businesses. Features such as secure user data and submissions, Facebook-compliance, and more control over branding will ensure apps' continued place in running Facebook promotions.
Image via Shutterstock
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Gigya: Facebook winning for logins
- Community Q&A: Do you need it? And how to use it
- Study: SMBs bride personal achievement over money
- DMA (UK) poll reveals most 'marketing friendly' social network
- LinkedIn: 300 million connected, 3 billion to go
- Kenshoo: Paid search continues double-digit yearly growth
Featured White Papers
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...