News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook removes requirement for third-party apps in promotions
Great news for Facebook marketers and users. Significant changes to how promotions and contests are run on the social network does away with the need for third-party apps.
Third-party promotional app developers, such as Offerpop, enable businesses on Facebook to run promotions and competitions on the social network - the only way to do so, until now.
Facebook has announced the removal of "the requirement that promotions on Facebook only be administered through apps. Now, promotions may be administered on Page Timelines and in apps on Facebook". For marketers with small budgets and those who want to shoot off a quick competition to Fans, this is great news.
While easing up on some elements of running a promotion on Facebook, the social network is tightening up on others. In a recent blog post, the company reiterated that users' personal Timelines must not be used to administer promotions. For example, instructions such as "share on your Timeline to enter" are not permitted.
Tagging behavior has been highlighted, too, to ensure users are not encouraged to tag themselves in images in which they don't appear. No longer can a business ask a user to tag themselves in an image, say, of a new product if that user does not appear in the image.
While the likes of Rafflecopter, Wildfire and Offerpop won't be overly happy with Facebook's changes, the benefits of running promotions through apps will continue to appeal to many businesses. Features such as secure user data and submissions, Facebook-compliance, and more control over branding will ensure apps' continued place in running Facebook promotions.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...