News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook removes requirement for third-party apps in promotions
Great news for Facebook marketers and users. Significant changes to how promotions and contests are run on the social network does away with the need for third-party apps.
Third-party promotional app developers, such as Offerpop, enable businesses on Facebook to run promotions and competitions on the social network - the only way to do so, until now.
Facebook has announced the removal of "the requirement that promotions on Facebook only be administered through apps. Now, promotions may be administered on Page Timelines and in apps on Facebook". For marketers with small budgets and those who want to shoot off a quick competition to Fans, this is great news.
While easing up on some elements of running a promotion on Facebook, the social network is tightening up on others. In a recent blog post, the company reiterated that users' personal Timelines must not be used to administer promotions. For example, instructions such as "share on your Timeline to enter" are not permitted.
Tagging behavior has been highlighted, too, to ensure users are not encouraged to tag themselves in images in which they don't appear. No longer can a business ask a user to tag themselves in an image, say, of a new product if that user does not appear in the image.
While the likes of Rafflecopter, Wildfire and Offerpop won't be overly happy with Facebook's changes, the benefits of running promotions through apps will continue to appeal to many businesses. Features such as secure user data and submissions, Facebook-compliance, and more control over branding will ensure apps' continued place in running Facebook promotions.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...