News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook ceases to deal in physical gifts, digital gift card to take over
Facebook is ditching the option of sending physical gifts via its Gift feature and concentrating wholly on the less logistically demanding task of providing a digital gift card.
A year ago, Facebook entered the gift-giving arena with its Gift feature. Based on user feedback, the ability to buy mugs and teddy bears has been scrapped, and the social network will now concentrate efforts on the marketing of the Facebook Card.
The Facebook Card will satisfy the majority of current Gift users' needs. Instead of being able to purchase and send physical gifts, something which just 20% of Facebook Gift users did, Facebook Cards can be loaded with an amount to spend at selected retailers.
"We're really making the decision based on user feedback," said Lee Linden, head of Facebook's Gifts program, in an interview with Mike Isaac from AllThingsD's Mike Isaac. "The physical stuff is interesting for sure, but our goal is to build stuff that's really great for the majority of people who are using it."
The associated overheads of managing the distribution of physical goods will also ensure the new Gift feature is better for the social network's bottom line.
Users will soon see more Gift options from more brands, and perhaps digital gift codes from those brands used to sending out physical gifts.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...