News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ecommerce spending up for 15th consecutive quarter
Consumers in the U.S. continue to spend more online, according to comScore's latest figures, with ecommerce spending up 15.5% year on year in Q2 2013.
The amount spent online in the second quarter of this year hit $49.84 billion, up from $43.15 billion (+15.5%) in the same quarter last year, reveals comScore. The growth continues the upward trend, the 15th consecutive quarter of e-retail growth, and the 11th consecutive quarter of double-digit growth.
"Increased spending growth for the quarter not only reflects the long term share shift towards digital commerce, but also the near-term signals of sustained improvement in consumer sentiment," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "This strength is particularly significant since the second quarter tends to be seasonally lighter for e-commerce, and, as such, represents a positive indicator for the back half of the year."
For only the second time ever, comScore provided mobile spending figures, giving a better overall insight into online sales and spend. The latest figures reveals that, during the same quarter, mobile spending also increased - by 24% year on year - or $4.7 billion.
The highest-grossing mobile sales were in the apparel and accessories category, accounting for $700 million, followed by computer hardware and digital content.
- Mobile Roundup: 2 solutions in the mobile space to broaden reach
- Ad Roundup: 3 solutions to power brand engagement
- Study: 'Digital amnesia' the result of over-reliance on mobile
- New Zealand passes law criminalizing cyberbullying
- U.K.: Marketers concerned about keeping pace with marketing technology
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...