News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ecommerce spending up for 15th consecutive quarter
Consumers in the U.S. continue to spend more online, according to comScore's latest figures, with ecommerce spending up 15.5% year on year in Q2 2013.
The amount spent online in the second quarter of this year hit $49.84 billion, up from $43.15 billion (+15.5%) in the same quarter last year, reveals comScore. The growth continues the upward trend, the 15th consecutive quarter of e-retail growth, and the 11th consecutive quarter of double-digit growth.
"Increased spending growth for the quarter not only reflects the long term share shift towards digital commerce, but also the near-term signals of sustained improvement in consumer sentiment," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "This strength is particularly significant since the second quarter tends to be seasonally lighter for e-commerce, and, as such, represents a positive indicator for the back half of the year."
For only the second time ever, comScore provided mobile spending figures, giving a better overall insight into online sales and spend. The latest figures reveals that, during the same quarter, mobile spending also increased - by 24% year on year - or $4.7 billion.
The highest-grossing mobile sales were in the apparel and accessories category, accounting for $700 million, followed by computer hardware and digital content.
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
- Top 3 tips for a more earth friendly marketing campaign
- Local Brands: Why SEO needs an upgrade
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...