News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ecommerce spending up for 15th consecutive quarter
Consumers in the U.S. continue to spend more online, according to comScore's latest figures, with ecommerce spending up 15.5% year on year in Q2 2013.
The amount spent online in the second quarter of this year hit $49.84 billion, up from $43.15 billion (+15.5%) in the same quarter last year, reveals comScore. The growth continues the upward trend, the 15th consecutive quarter of e-retail growth, and the 11th consecutive quarter of double-digit growth.
"Increased spending growth for the quarter not only reflects the long term share shift towards digital commerce, but also the near-term signals of sustained improvement in consumer sentiment," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "This strength is particularly significant since the second quarter tends to be seasonally lighter for e-commerce, and, as such, represents a positive indicator for the back half of the year."
For only the second time ever, comScore provided mobile spending figures, giving a better overall insight into online sales and spend. The latest figures reveals that, during the same quarter, mobile spending also increased - by 24% year on year - or $4.7 billion.
The highest-grossing mobile sales were in the apparel and accessories category, accounting for $700 million, followed by computer hardware and digital content.
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...