News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ecommerce spending up for 15th consecutive quarter
Consumers in the U.S. continue to spend more online, according to comScore's latest figures, with ecommerce spending up 15.5% year on year in Q2 2013.
The amount spent online in the second quarter of this year hit $49.84 billion, up from $43.15 billion (+15.5%) in the same quarter last year, reveals comScore. The growth continues the upward trend, the 15th consecutive quarter of e-retail growth, and the 11th consecutive quarter of double-digit growth.
"Increased spending growth for the quarter not only reflects the long term share shift towards digital commerce, but also the near-term signals of sustained improvement in consumer sentiment," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "This strength is particularly significant since the second quarter tends to be seasonally lighter for e-commerce, and, as such, represents a positive indicator for the back half of the year."
For only the second time ever, comScore provided mobile spending figures, giving a better overall insight into online sales and spend. The latest figures reveals that, during the same quarter, mobile spending also increased - by 24% year on year - or $4.7 billion.
The highest-grossing mobile sales were in the apparel and accessories category, accounting for $700 million, followed by computer hardware and digital content.
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...