News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
eBay launches new platform aimed at in-store sales staff
The online-only retail company has launched the Retail Associate Platform, aimed at large and small store owners, to bring together point of sale technology, consumer data, and social media activity to personalize the in-store sales experience and boost sales.
The new retail app is for use by sales staff in a physical store, and works on tablets that employees carry around the store. Called the Retail Associate Platform, it can supply information about past customers, such as their previous purchases, items they have browsed on the store's website, and their product preferences.
The app also provides store staff with inventory available in other stores and online, allowing them to order another size or color directly from the mobile device. It can also suggest potential purchases based on a shopper's style and preferences.
Customers who have an account with PayPal, the online and mobile payment company owned by eBay, simply check in on their smartphone using bluetooth technology when they enter a store, alerting sales staff to their arrival.
According to eBay head of retail innovation, Healey Cypher, the Retail Associate Platform brings "web-grade thinking into the physical world".
"Physical stores just aren't going away," said David Geisinger, head of retail business strategy for eBay. "Without this technology, retailers will be left behind."
The technology will also empower store staff who can find it hard to engage with smartphone-wielding shop visitors who often, through their device, know more about a store's inventory and products than they do.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...