News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
British shoppers' patience runs out after six minutes of queuing
Physical stores are going to have to find a way of keeping checkout lines moving as consumers, used to instant gratification at the click of a mouse or the tap of a screen, become less tolerant of queuing up to pay for goods in a store.
Six minutes - that's how long the average shopper age between 16 and 24 will wait in line at a checkout before losing patience and giving up. Among older shoppers, over the age of 55, the time before patience runs out is shorter - five minutes and 46 seconds.
These are the findings of omnichannel retail experts, Omnico, which reflect a concept known as 'heuristics', a mental short-cut to aid decision-making based on past experience.
"When it comes to queuing, people use previous experiences to decide whether they will stay in the queue or leave it," said Mark Rackley, a chartered psychologist.
In other words, in a world where it can take just a few clicks, and less than six minutes, to make a purchase online or via mobile, shoppers may use 'heuristics' and conclude that queuing is a waste of their time, and walk away. Not only will this affect store revenues, but it has a knock-on effect on loyalty, with shoppers avoiding stores in which they feel they may be kept waiting.
"Mobile point of sale (PoS) technology is an answer to the queuing problem, as it can be deployed quickly and has a positive impact on retailers' shop floor estate, offering space saving opportunity as well as reduced capital expenditure," says Bill Henry, CEO at Omnico. "It frees sales assistants up to move around the store and answer questions or move to areas that are busiest."
Image via Shutterstock
- Google's HTTPS ranking signal has little to no effect
- 'Huge landmark' as ecommerce mobile traffic overtakes desktop
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...