News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
British shoppers' patience runs out after six minutes of queuing
Physical stores are going to have to find a way of keeping checkout lines moving as consumers, used to instant gratification at the click of a mouse or the tap of a screen, become less tolerant of queuing up to pay for goods in a store.
Six minutes - that's how long the average shopper age between 16 and 24 will wait in line at a checkout before losing patience and giving up. Among older shoppers, over the age of 55, the time before patience runs out is shorter - five minutes and 46 seconds.
These are the findings of omnichannel retail experts, Omnico, which reflect a concept known as 'heuristics', a mental short-cut to aid decision-making based on past experience.
"When it comes to queuing, people use previous experiences to decide whether they will stay in the queue or leave it," said Mark Rackley, a chartered psychologist.
In other words, in a world where it can take just a few clicks, and less than six minutes, to make a purchase online or via mobile, shoppers may use 'heuristics' and conclude that queuing is a waste of their time, and walk away. Not only will this affect store revenues, but it has a knock-on effect on loyalty, with shoppers avoiding stores in which they feel they may be kept waiting.
"Mobile point of sale (PoS) technology is an answer to the queuing problem, as it can be deployed quickly and has a positive impact on retailers' shop floor estate, offering space saving opportunity as well as reduced capital expenditure," says Bill Henry, CEO at Omnico. "It frees sales assistants up to move around the store and answer questions or move to areas that are busiest."
Image via Shutterstock
- UK: February floods lead to rise in ecommerce sales
- Top 3 tips to create lasting brand buzz
- Expert warns bitcoin has drawbacks for SMBs
- Twitter testing click-to-call
- UK: Mobile ad spend to outstrip newspaper ad spend in 2014
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
- Report: Millennials spending more time with UGC
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....