News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
British shoppers' patience runs out after six minutes of queuing
Physical stores are going to have to find a way of keeping checkout lines moving as consumers, used to instant gratification at the click of a mouse or the tap of a screen, become less tolerant of queuing up to pay for goods in a store.
Six minutes - that's how long the average shopper age between 16 and 24 will wait in line at a checkout before losing patience and giving up. Among older shoppers, over the age of 55, the time before patience runs out is shorter - five minutes and 46 seconds.
These are the findings of omnichannel retail experts, Omnico, which reflect a concept known as 'heuristics', a mental short-cut to aid decision-making based on past experience.
"When it comes to queuing, people use previous experiences to decide whether they will stay in the queue or leave it," said Mark Rackley, a chartered psychologist.
In other words, in a world where it can take just a few clicks, and less than six minutes, to make a purchase online or via mobile, shoppers may use 'heuristics' and conclude that queuing is a waste of their time, and walk away. Not only will this affect store revenues, but it has a knock-on effect on loyalty, with shoppers avoiding stores in which they feel they may be kept waiting.
"Mobile point of sale (PoS) technology is an answer to the queuing problem, as it can be deployed quickly and has a positive impact on retailers' shop floor estate, offering space saving opportunity as well as reduced capital expenditure," says Bill Henry, CEO at Omnico. "It frees sales assistants up to move around the store and answer questions or move to areas that are busiest."
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey finds email pressure for retailers
- Report: Email, mobile key to retail success
- Expert: Data key for financial campaigns
- "Fat" ads slowing down publishers' websites
- IoT making impact on business but barriers remain
- CPG brands spending more on digital ads than traditional
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...