News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
82% of identity fraud cases in UK occur online
Overall fraud levels in the UK have dropped slightly during the first half of the year, according to a new report released by non-profit anti-fraud organization CIFAS, although identity fraud continues to rise.
In the first half of 2013, CIFAS recorded a slight drop in overall fraud levels in the UK - 113,980 were reported by users, down 3% on the second half of 2012. By quarter, overall fraud rates have remained fairly constant at between 56,000 and 59,000 per quarter across the last 15 months.
However, identity fraud grew 1% in the first half of 2013, accounting for over half (52%) of all UK recorded fraud, compared with application fraud (18%), misuse of facility (15%) and facility takeover fraud (14%).
The vast majority of identity fraud cases (82%) were carried out online, making it difficult to identify fraudsters, says CIFAS.
"While it is vitally important that all organizations protect the data that they hold, and do all that they can to prevent fraud (from using the latest technologies to better use of data), individuals also have a vital role to play in keeping data safe," says CIFAS Communications Manager, Richard Hurley.
"From adopting good practice in terms of online security (keeping firewalls and anti-virus programmes fully updated), to making sure that information is not needlessly divulged, we all can offer the first line of defense against fraudsters."
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....