News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
82% of identity fraud cases in UK occur online
Overall fraud levels in the UK have dropped slightly during the first half of the year, according to a new report released by non-profit anti-fraud organization CIFAS, although identity fraud continues to rise.
In the first half of 2013, CIFAS recorded a slight drop in overall fraud levels in the UK - 113,980 were reported by users, down 3% on the second half of 2012. By quarter, overall fraud rates have remained fairly constant at between 56,000 and 59,000 per quarter across the last 15 months.
However, identity fraud grew 1% in the first half of 2013, accounting for over half (52%) of all UK recorded fraud, compared with application fraud (18%), misuse of facility (15%) and facility takeover fraud (14%).
The vast majority of identity fraud cases (82%) were carried out online, making it difficult to identify fraudsters, says CIFAS.
"While it is vitally important that all organizations protect the data that they hold, and do all that they can to prevent fraud (from using the latest technologies to better use of data), individuals also have a vital role to play in keeping data safe," says CIFAS Communications Manager, Richard Hurley.
"From adopting good practice in terms of online security (keeping firewalls and anti-virus programmes fully updated), to making sure that information is not needlessly divulged, we all can offer the first line of defense against fraudsters."
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Email and experience tools
- RichRelevance: Site Search key for shoppers
- How loyalty data can improve the shopper experience
- UK consumers will have 12 billion click-to-call conversations this year
- Consumers to brands: Don't call me maybe
- Brands risk reputation when delivery speeds do not match purchaser expectations
- Ad experience improves but ad blocking still rising
- Research reveals power of user-generated images in reviews
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...