News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
82% of identity fraud cases in UK occur online
Overall fraud levels in the UK have dropped slightly during the first half of the year, according to a new report released by non-profit anti-fraud organization CIFAS, although identity fraud continues to rise.
In the first half of 2013, CIFAS recorded a slight drop in overall fraud levels in the UK - 113,980 were reported by users, down 3% on the second half of 2012. By quarter, overall fraud rates have remained fairly constant at between 56,000 and 59,000 per quarter across the last 15 months.
However, identity fraud grew 1% in the first half of 2013, accounting for over half (52%) of all UK recorded fraud, compared with application fraud (18%), misuse of facility (15%) and facility takeover fraud (14%).
The vast majority of identity fraud cases (82%) were carried out online, making it difficult to identify fraudsters, says CIFAS.
"While it is vitally important that all organizations protect the data that they hold, and do all that they can to prevent fraud (from using the latest technologies to better use of data), individuals also have a vital role to play in keeping data safe," says CIFAS Communications Manager, Richard Hurley.
"From adopting good practice in terms of online security (keeping firewalls and anti-virus programmes fully updated), to making sure that information is not needlessly divulged, we all can offer the first line of defense against fraudsters."
Image via Shutterstock
- Forrester: Mobile social users more engaged, share more
- Top 3 tips for SMBs using webinars
- Air passengers demand constant connectivity and fast in-flight Wi-Fi
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
- Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
- Expert: Why SMBs are pushing farther into digital
Featured White Papers
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...