News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK online sales growth hits two year high
Investment in mobile commerce, mobile optimization, and an increasingly mobile-savvy population are all drivers of a big increase in sales in the UK during June this year, according to IMRG Capgemini's latest e-Retail Sales Index.
The just-released figures reveal online sales recorded the best performance in two years rising 20% year-on-year in June, 2013. The e-Retail Sales Index also shows the first monthly growth between the months of May and June for five years.
"The online retail market has performed above expectation so far this year, with H1 coming in at 16% average growth against our earlier forecast of 12%," said Tina Spooner, chief information officer at IMRG.
Transactions via mobile devices continued to surge, up 136% year-on-year in June. Mobile conversion rates also increased, driven in part by transactions on tablets.
"Mobile commerce continues to power on in 2013. More specifically, the mobile conversion rate has increased from 1.27% in June 2012 to 2.03% in June 2013 which is a very positive signal that mobile commerce is achieving serious traction in the UK market," said Oliver Ripley, mobile product manager at eCommera.
"Two factors are driving this trend. They are push and pull factors. Firstly, modern retailers are investing more in their mobile commerce storefronts, whether that is browser or app. More effort is being put into user interface, the user journey, the payment experience and so on making it a far more pleasurable experience for customers who are using the mobile services."
"Secondly, users are becoming more accepting of using mobile devices to complete transactions and this is especially true for the younger, Generation X & Y, consumer types," added Ripley.
Image via Shutterstock
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
- Top 3 tips for a more earth friendly marketing campaign
- Local Brands: Why SEO needs an upgrade
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...