News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK online sales growth hits two year high
Investment in mobile commerce, mobile optimization, and an increasingly mobile-savvy population are all drivers of a big increase in sales in the UK during June this year, according to IMRG Capgemini's latest e-Retail Sales Index.
The just-released figures reveal online sales recorded the best performance in two years rising 20% year-on-year in June, 2013. The e-Retail Sales Index also shows the first monthly growth between the months of May and June for five years.
"The online retail market has performed above expectation so far this year, with H1 coming in at 16% average growth against our earlier forecast of 12%," said Tina Spooner, chief information officer at IMRG.
Transactions via mobile devices continued to surge, up 136% year-on-year in June. Mobile conversion rates also increased, driven in part by transactions on tablets.
"Mobile commerce continues to power on in 2013. More specifically, the mobile conversion rate has increased from 1.27% in June 2012 to 2.03% in June 2013 which is a very positive signal that mobile commerce is achieving serious traction in the UK market," said Oliver Ripley, mobile product manager at eCommera.
"Two factors are driving this trend. They are push and pull factors. Firstly, modern retailers are investing more in their mobile commerce storefronts, whether that is browser or app. More effort is being put into user interface, the user journey, the payment experience and so on making it a far more pleasurable experience for customers who are using the mobile services."
"Secondly, users are becoming more accepting of using mobile devices to complete transactions and this is especially true for the younger, Generation X & Y, consumer types," added Ripley.
Image via Shutterstock
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
- Gigya: Facebook winning for logins
- Community Q&A: Do you need it? And how to use it
- Study: SMBs bride personal achievement over money
Featured White Papers
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...