News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Brand keywords for paid search ads 'ineffective'
Recent research reveals that brands buying search ads with their own brand name as a keyword are wasting money selling to people they don't need to sell to.
Consumers performing brand-specific searches on search engines such as Google and Bing are already navigating to a brand's website. It follows, therefore, that this isn't an audience brands need to get their ads in front of.
According to experiments carried out by eBay Research Labs economists Thomas Blake, Chris Nosko, and Steve Tadelis, organic search results for brand-specific queries work just as well as paid search ads, even if the results appear lower down the page. This was confirmed by experiments showing 99.5% of eBay site traffic was retained despite paid ads for 'eBay' being shut down across Google and elsewhere.
"The results of our study show that for a well-known brand like eBay, the efficacy of SEM is limited at best," say the economists in their resulting paper, 'Consumer Heterogeneity and Paid Search Effectiveness: A Large Scale Field Experiment'. "For the most part, paid-search expenditures are concentrated on consumers who would shop on eBay regardless of whether they were shown paid search ads."
Other findings of the research were that the effectiveness of search engine marketing for non-branded keywords is "small for a large and well-known brand like eBay" and that there is a "small yet detectable positive impact of SEM on new user acquisition and on informing infrequent users about the value of using eBay".
Overall, the findings support the informative view of advertising and the value of targeting the "uninformed" search user.
Image via Shutterstock
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- British consumers will give up more personal data for discounts, free delivery
- How dark social can impact brand
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...