News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Brand keywords for paid search ads 'ineffective'
Recent research reveals that brands buying search ads with their own brand name as a keyword are wasting money selling to people they don't need to sell to.
Consumers performing brand-specific searches on search engines such as Google and Bing are already navigating to a brand's website. It follows, therefore, that this isn't an audience brands need to get their ads in front of.
According to experiments carried out by eBay Research Labs economists Thomas Blake, Chris Nosko, and Steve Tadelis, organic search results for brand-specific queries work just as well as paid search ads, even if the results appear lower down the page. This was confirmed by experiments showing 99.5% of eBay site traffic was retained despite paid ads for 'eBay' being shut down across Google and elsewhere.
"The results of our study show that for a well-known brand like eBay, the efficacy of SEM is limited at best," say the economists in their resulting paper, 'Consumer Heterogeneity and Paid Search Effectiveness: A Large Scale Field Experiment'. "For the most part, paid-search expenditures are concentrated on consumers who would shop on eBay regardless of whether they were shown paid search ads."
Other findings of the research were that the effectiveness of search engine marketing for non-branded keywords is "small for a large and well-known brand like eBay" and that there is a "small yet detectable positive impact of SEM on new user acquisition and on informing infrequent users about the value of using eBay".
Overall, the findings support the informative view of advertising and the value of targeting the "uninformed" search user.
Image via Shutterstock
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...