News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Marketers - watch your language when addressing Baby Boomers
Marketers - watch your language. Don't call Baby Boomers 'elderly', and don't assume they're going to end up in a 'nursing home'. To do so could undermine your overall marketing messages, according to a new survey from SeniorMarketing.com.
According to research by Pew, 10,000 Baby Boomers will reach the age of 65 every single day until 2030. The way in which marketers address this huge demographic needs to be carefully considered, says Kevin Williams, president of SeniorMarketing.com.
Current language used in marketing to Baby Boomers may be rubbing them up the wrong way. While acutely aware of the ageing process, Baby Boomers don't think of themselves as old once in their sixties and beyond, and many envisage themselves leading long and independent lives.
Pamela Tabar, editor of Long-Term Living magazine, told the Chicago Tribune that Baby Boomers have a very different perception of themselves than generations past.
Most are happy being labeled Baby Boomers, but terms such as 'senior', 'nursing home', or even 'retirement home', are unappealing today. Williams' survey found that 'nursing home' was unappealing to almost all those he surveyed (94%). Instead, more positive and lively terms are preferred, such as 'active adults' and 'retirement village', which sound less institutional and more independent.
In a bid to find out what Baby Boomers prefer to be called, Williams created an online survey, from which the above figures are taken.
"It was created to end age discrimination and ageist stereotypes, and get to the bottom of what we should call boomers and their future homes," says Williams.
Image via Shutterstock
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...