News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Marketers - watch your language when addressing Baby Boomers
Marketers - watch your language. Don't call Baby Boomers 'elderly', and don't assume they're going to end up in a 'nursing home'. To do so could undermine your overall marketing messages, according to a new survey from SeniorMarketing.com.
According to research by Pew, 10,000 Baby Boomers will reach the age of 65 every single day until 2030. The way in which marketers address this huge demographic needs to be carefully considered, says Kevin Williams, president of SeniorMarketing.com.
Current language used in marketing to Baby Boomers may be rubbing them up the wrong way. While acutely aware of the ageing process, Baby Boomers don't think of themselves as old once in their sixties and beyond, and many envisage themselves leading long and independent lives.
Pamela Tabar, editor of Long-Term Living magazine, told the Chicago Tribune that Baby Boomers have a very different perception of themselves than generations past.
Most are happy being labeled Baby Boomers, but terms such as 'senior', 'nursing home', or even 'retirement home', are unappealing today. Williams' survey found that 'nursing home' was unappealing to almost all those he surveyed (94%). Instead, more positive and lively terms are preferred, such as 'active adults' and 'retirement village', which sound less institutional and more independent.
In a bid to find out what Baby Boomers prefer to be called, Williams created an online survey, from which the above figures are taken.
"It was created to end age discrimination and ageist stereotypes, and get to the bottom of what we should call boomers and their future homes," says Williams.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Smartphone viewers more likely to click
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
- Marketing spend on social to rise from 11% to a quarter of budget
- Checking email chews up 6.3 hours per day
- Study: Content, page loads reduce brand trust
- Study: Personalization key for email engagement
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...