News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Marketers - watch your language when addressing Baby Boomers
Marketers - watch your language. Don't call Baby Boomers 'elderly', and don't assume they're going to end up in a 'nursing home'. To do so could undermine your overall marketing messages, according to a new survey from SeniorMarketing.com.
According to research by Pew, 10,000 Baby Boomers will reach the age of 65 every single day until 2030. The way in which marketers address this huge demographic needs to be carefully considered, says Kevin Williams, president of SeniorMarketing.com.
Current language used in marketing to Baby Boomers may be rubbing them up the wrong way. While acutely aware of the ageing process, Baby Boomers don't think of themselves as old once in their sixties and beyond, and many envisage themselves leading long and independent lives.
Pamela Tabar, editor of Long-Term Living magazine, told the Chicago Tribune that Baby Boomers have a very different perception of themselves than generations past.
Most are happy being labeled Baby Boomers, but terms such as 'senior', 'nursing home', or even 'retirement home', are unappealing today. Williams' survey found that 'nursing home' was unappealing to almost all those he surveyed (94%). Instead, more positive and lively terms are preferred, such as 'active adults' and 'retirement village', which sound less institutional and more independent.
In a bid to find out what Baby Boomers prefer to be called, Williams created an online survey, from which the above figures are taken.
"It was created to end age discrimination and ageist stereotypes, and get to the bottom of what we should call boomers and their future homes," says Williams.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...