News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Marketers - watch your language when addressing Baby Boomers
Marketers - watch your language. Don't call Baby Boomers 'elderly', and don't assume they're going to end up in a 'nursing home'. To do so could undermine your overall marketing messages, according to a new survey from SeniorMarketing.com.
According to research by Pew, 10,000 Baby Boomers will reach the age of 65 every single day until 2030. The way in which marketers address this huge demographic needs to be carefully considered, says Kevin Williams, president of SeniorMarketing.com.
Current language used in marketing to Baby Boomers may be rubbing them up the wrong way. While acutely aware of the ageing process, Baby Boomers don't think of themselves as old once in their sixties and beyond, and many envisage themselves leading long and independent lives.
Pamela Tabar, editor of Long-Term Living magazine, told the Chicago Tribune that Baby Boomers have a very different perception of themselves than generations past.
Most are happy being labeled Baby Boomers, but terms such as 'senior', 'nursing home', or even 'retirement home', are unappealing today. Williams' survey found that 'nursing home' was unappealing to almost all those he surveyed (94%). Instead, more positive and lively terms are preferred, such as 'active adults' and 'retirement village', which sound less institutional and more independent.
In a bid to find out what Baby Boomers prefer to be called, Williams created an online survey, from which the above figures are taken.
"It was created to end age discrimination and ageist stereotypes, and get to the bottom of what we should call boomers and their future homes," says Williams.
Image via Shutterstock
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...