News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Marketers - watch your language when addressing Baby Boomers
Marketers - watch your language. Don't call Baby Boomers 'elderly', and don't assume they're going to end up in a 'nursing home'. To do so could undermine your overall marketing messages, according to a new survey from SeniorMarketing.com.
According to research by Pew, 10,000 Baby Boomers will reach the age of 65 every single day until 2030. The way in which marketers address this huge demographic needs to be carefully considered, says Kevin Williams, president of SeniorMarketing.com.
Current language used in marketing to Baby Boomers may be rubbing them up the wrong way. While acutely aware of the ageing process, Baby Boomers don't think of themselves as old once in their sixties and beyond, and many envisage themselves leading long and independent lives.
Pamela Tabar, editor of Long-Term Living magazine, told the Chicago Tribune that Baby Boomers have a very different perception of themselves than generations past.
Most are happy being labeled Baby Boomers, but terms such as 'senior', 'nursing home', or even 'retirement home', are unappealing today. Williams' survey found that 'nursing home' was unappealing to almost all those he surveyed (94%). Instead, more positive and lively terms are preferred, such as 'active adults' and 'retirement village', which sound less institutional and more independent.
In a bid to find out what Baby Boomers prefer to be called, Williams created an online survey, from which the above figures are taken.
"It was created to end age discrimination and ageist stereotypes, and get to the bottom of what we should call boomers and their future homes," says Williams.
Image via Shutterstock
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
- Reports: Mobile economy flourishing
- Top 3 trends to push marketers ahead in 2015
- Consumers want marketing email based on previous purchases
- Kenshoo highlights rise in Facebook ad spend
- Study: Americans don't understand their health plan
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...