News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Location-based mobile coupons tempt consumers in-store
Location-based mobile coupons are tempting consumers into stores, according to recent research by the U.S.'s largest digital coupon website, particularly when those consumers are in the vicinity.
When RetailMeNot partnered with The Omnibus Company to survey 1,067 U.S. consumers over the age of 18 during April this year, they found what ever coupon website wants to hear - coupons are popular with mobile users.
More than three-quarters (78%) of those surveyed had done some sort of research on their mobile during the month preceding the survey, and 54% had made a purchase using their mobile device during the same period.
Of interest was that mobile coupons are effective at driving consumers in-store. About half (51%) of respondents said they would be more likely to buy products in-store if they received a mobile coupon while in close proximity to the store. Younger mobile users (18-34) were more likely to do so (63%) than those age 35+ (43%).
Furthermore, respondents indicated that if they were already in-store when they received a mobile coupon they would be 61% more likely to make a purchase.
"There's no doubt that today's consumers are more empowered than ever by smartphone technology, and retailers can recognize and enable those behaviors or lose business to competitors who understand the power of mobile marketing." says John Faith, senior vice president of external affairs for RetailMeNot.
Today, the number of U.S. smartphone users using mobile coupons is 29.5 million, a significant rise from 2010 when 7.4 million used mobile coupons. By 2014, this figure is expected to rise further to 47.1 million, according to a recent BI Intelligence report.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
- Brexit, Trump leave marketers skittish about targeting
- Email analysis reveals extent of email attacks on businesses
- Report IDs the next big tech products
- Brands: How to prep for the subscription economy
- Expert: What Buffett's Walmart sale means
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...