News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ForeSee: Detractors may not have as much influence
The big takeaway from new data out today from ForeSee: the detractor portion of Net Promoter Scores may be overestimated. As in very overestimated. According to the data brand detractors in categories may be overestimated more than 500%.
Net Promoter Scores (NPS) are based on the answer to a single question - would the customer recommend the brand. From there, scores are given which label some responders as 'detractors'. Today's Word of Mouth Index (WoMI) from ForeSee indicates that those 'detractor' labels may be not only inaccurate descriptors of the shoppers but overly inflated, causing brands to spend thousands of dollars where they don't need to. The findings include:
• NPS detractors are overestimated by 527% for financial services
• NPS detractors are overestimated by 264% for computers/electronics
• NPS detractors are overestimated by 222% for retail
"NPS' overstatement of detractors, as shown by our research, is truly eye-opening - impelling brands to seriously reevaluate their tactics and spending around converting supposed detractors," said Larry Freed, CEO, Foresee. "With WoMI, we provide an easy way for companies to accurately measure customer word-of-mouth, knowing they'll be making business decisions based on precise, actionable data. Given today's more empowered consumers - who are able to broadcast their opinions from social media megaphones and switch brands instantly with the click of a mouse or the swipe of a mobile screen - it's vital that companies use a loyalty metric that keeps up with the evolving world, by factoring in both positive and negative word-of-mouth."
The ForeSee index focuses on the overall experience, asking customer more than one question to determine if that shopper is an influencer, detractor or falls somewhere in the middle. This gives the brand a more holistic view into how their campaigns are faring, what the reaction of customers is and how to best use this information to increase the ROI of given campaigns.
Image via Shutterstock
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
- Brexit, Trump leave marketers skittish about targeting
- Email analysis reveals extent of email attacks on businesses
- Report IDs the next big tech products
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...