News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Early back to school sales activity heading in One Direction
New data released by Google reveals 2013 is experiencing the earliest back to school shopping season ever with boy-band One Direction supplies an extremely popular option and mobile playing a key role in the search and purchase process.
By the end of July, most back to school supplies research will have been completed, according to Google Shopping data. The search engine reveals that searches for "back to school sales" began trending two weeks earlier this year than last. July is typically the month during which research for back to school items is undertaken while August is when purchases are made.
However, according to Google sales development manager, Jacalyn Stolt, a small group of consumers have already started making purchases.
Online shoppers are turning to their mobile devices in the search for back to school supplies and the ability to search and purchase across multiple devices is probably what is driving the early activity.
Two-thirds (66%) will use their smartphones on-the-go to aid in the search and purchase process, says Stolt, of which 64% will use them to compare prices and 43% will use them to search for in-store product availability.
"Back to school shoppers are price conscious and are looking for deals, with 94% of shoppers saying that a promotion or sale would persuade them to purchase a product," says Stolt, who also notes that sales were particularly attractive to consumers when considering the purchase of consumer electronics.
"Consumer electronics shoppers were more likely to make a purchase if there was a back to school promotion, free shipping offer, or one day sale," says Stolt. "Brands like Dell are promoting deals of the day and in-store pickup in Google search ads to help shoppers with their back to school shopping."
Google's data also revealed a penchant among consumers for One Direction-themed items. Top trending back to school searches on Google Shopping this month include:
- One Direction school supplies
- Messenger bags
- North Face school backpacks
- Personalized school supplies
- Nike Free 5.0 kids
Image via Shutterstock
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...