News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers want more control over mobile ad experience
Self-initiated advertising on mobile devices is the way forward, suggests new research from in-content digital ad company Vibrant Media, and a sure-fire way to ensure you are not annoying smartphone and tablet users.
There is disparity among the methods being used by marketers on mobile devices and what users want, found the survey among 1,000 U.K. consumers conducted by Toluna.
Positive mobile experiences boost engagement and revenues. But, according to Vibrant Media's research, consumers are far from enamored with current advertising methods over which they feel they have little control.
The survey found that nearly half (48%) of mobile users feel they are least in control of advertising on their smartphones and tablets, more so than social media, mobile web browsing, instant messaging, email, text messaging and making voice calls.
"Consumers want to feel empowered by their digital content experience, not annoyed. Many mobile ad formats are interruptive - which our study shows 35% of consumers find "annoying" and 45% "very annoying" - or triggered in error, which over half [51%] of our respondents said was most often the case," said Tom Pepper, UK Sales Director at Vibrant Media.
In fact, of all their digital devices, 77% feel least in control on their mobile phones versus 11% on desktops and 12% on tablets.
So, what would consumers prefer? The survey revealed that two-thirds of smartphone and tablet users would prefer advertising they initiate themselves.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...