News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands fail to harness power of advocacy via social media
Few brands are harnessing the power of advocacy, according to analysis carried out by social media strategists Social@Ogilvy.
Brand advocacy can account for up to 80% of reach from marketing campaigns, yet most brand mentions on social media aren't passionate or contain content that advocates a product or service.
Instead, the majority of brand mentions on social media are neutral or negative. Just 15% of all brand mentions analyzed in Social@Ogilvy's research were advocacy mentions.
According to Social@Ogilvy's global head of Data+Analytics and Products, Irfan Kamal, the reason for the low number of advocacy mentions is that brands aren't doing enough to prompt satisfied customers to share their views and experiences in social media.
"Brands have not provided the technology, incentives or content that both inspire and enable customers to speak out positively," said Kamal. "To help close the gap, brands must help facilitate advocacy volume, reward passion and amplify reach."
Social@Ogilvy looked at almost seven million social media mentions of 23 brands and two feature films in four countries - the US, UK, China and Brazil. China had the best overall brand advocacy rate with 30% of mentions, followed by the U.S. (13%), U.K. (12%) and Brazil (6%).
The report, 'How to Build a Passionate Brand', can be viewed online.
Image via Shutterstock
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...