News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands fail to harness power of advocacy via social media
Few brands are harnessing the power of advocacy, according to analysis carried out by social media strategists Social@Ogilvy.
Brand advocacy can account for up to 80% of reach from marketing campaigns, yet most brand mentions on social media aren't passionate or contain content that advocates a product or service.
Instead, the majority of brand mentions on social media are neutral or negative. Just 15% of all brand mentions analyzed in Social@Ogilvy's research were advocacy mentions.
According to Social@Ogilvy's global head of Data+Analytics and Products, Irfan Kamal, the reason for the low number of advocacy mentions is that brands aren't doing enough to prompt satisfied customers to share their views and experiences in social media.
"Brands have not provided the technology, incentives or content that both inspire and enable customers to speak out positively," said Kamal. "To help close the gap, brands must help facilitate advocacy volume, reward passion and amplify reach."
Social@Ogilvy looked at almost seven million social media mentions of 23 brands and two feature films in four countries - the US, UK, China and Brazil. China had the best overall brand advocacy rate with 30% of mentions, followed by the U.S. (13%), U.K. (12%) and Brazil (6%).
The report, 'How to Build a Passionate Brand', can be viewed online.
Image via Shutterstock
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for ads, optimization, mobile work
- Top 3 don't's for telecom customer service
- Kahuna: Brands must engage for apps to work
- Research highlights effectiveness of in-app messaging
- Facebook tests 10-second video views and monetization
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...