News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands fail to harness power of advocacy via social media
Few brands are harnessing the power of advocacy, according to analysis carried out by social media strategists Social@Ogilvy.
Brand advocacy can account for up to 80% of reach from marketing campaigns, yet most brand mentions on social media aren't passionate or contain content that advocates a product or service.
Instead, the majority of brand mentions on social media are neutral or negative. Just 15% of all brand mentions analyzed in Social@Ogilvy's research were advocacy mentions.
According to Social@Ogilvy's global head of Data+Analytics and Products, Irfan Kamal, the reason for the low number of advocacy mentions is that brands aren't doing enough to prompt satisfied customers to share their views and experiences in social media.
"Brands have not provided the technology, incentives or content that both inspire and enable customers to speak out positively," said Kamal. "To help close the gap, brands must help facilitate advocacy volume, reward passion and amplify reach."
Social@Ogilvy looked at almost seven million social media mentions of 23 brands and two feature films in four countries - the US, UK, China and Brazil. China had the best overall brand advocacy rate with 30% of mentions, followed by the U.S. (13%), U.K. (12%) and Brazil (6%).
The report, 'How to Build a Passionate Brand', can be viewed online.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...