News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands fail to harness power of advocacy via social media
Few brands are harnessing the power of advocacy, according to analysis carried out by social media strategists Social@Ogilvy.
Brand advocacy can account for up to 80% of reach from marketing campaigns, yet most brand mentions on social media aren't passionate or contain content that advocates a product or service.
Instead, the majority of brand mentions on social media are neutral or negative. Just 15% of all brand mentions analyzed in Social@Ogilvy's research were advocacy mentions.
According to Social@Ogilvy's global head of Data+Analytics and Products, Irfan Kamal, the reason for the low number of advocacy mentions is that brands aren't doing enough to prompt satisfied customers to share their views and experiences in social media.
"Brands have not provided the technology, incentives or content that both inspire and enable customers to speak out positively," said Kamal. "To help close the gap, brands must help facilitate advocacy volume, reward passion and amplify reach."
Social@Ogilvy looked at almost seven million social media mentions of 23 brands and two feature films in four countries - the US, UK, China and Brazil. China had the best overall brand advocacy rate with 30% of mentions, followed by the U.S. (13%), U.K. (12%) and Brazil (6%).
The report, 'How to Build a Passionate Brand', can be viewed online.
Image via Shutterstock
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...