News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Advertisers warned about delivery of Royal birth advertising
Thinking of cashing in on the imminent birth of a new member of the British Royal family? You'd better brush up on your Advertising Standards Authority rules and regulations first.
It's a huge marketing opportunity and many big name advertisers have already jumped on the Royal baby bandwagon. However, caution is needed. Any use of material that shows, or mentions, any member of the Royal family must first be approved by the Lord Chamberlain's office, whose role is "to oversee the conduct and general business of the Royal Household and to be a source and focal point for important matters which have implications for the Household as a whole".
The Advertising Standards Authority is the UK's independent regulator of advertising across all media. They apply the Advertising Codes, which are written by the Committees of Advertising Practice.
"Linking campaigns to Royal events is always tempting, and although general references to the Royal birth or simple congratulatory messages are potentially acceptable, ads shouldn't go as far as claiming or implying that a particular product is endorsed by the Royal Family or that a product is affiliated to Royal events when it is not," said the Advertising Standards Authority in a recent announcement.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...