News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Advertisers warned about delivery of Royal birth advertising
Thinking of cashing in on the imminent birth of a new member of the British Royal family? You'd better brush up on your Advertising Standards Authority rules and regulations first.
It's a huge marketing opportunity and many big name advertisers have already jumped on the Royal baby bandwagon. However, caution is needed. Any use of material that shows, or mentions, any member of the Royal family must first be approved by the Lord Chamberlain's office, whose role is "to oversee the conduct and general business of the Royal Household and to be a source and focal point for important matters which have implications for the Household as a whole".
The Advertising Standards Authority is the UK's independent regulator of advertising across all media. They apply the Advertising Codes, which are written by the Committees of Advertising Practice.
"Linking campaigns to Royal events is always tempting, and although general references to the Royal birth or simple congratulatory messages are potentially acceptable, ads shouldn't go as far as claiming or implying that a particular product is endorsed by the Royal Family or that a product is affiliated to Royal events when it is not," said the Advertising Standards Authority in a recent announcement.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...