News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Advertisers warned about delivery of Royal birth advertising
Thinking of cashing in on the imminent birth of a new member of the British Royal family? You'd better brush up on your Advertising Standards Authority rules and regulations first.
It's a huge marketing opportunity and many big name advertisers have already jumped on the Royal baby bandwagon. However, caution is needed. Any use of material that shows, or mentions, any member of the Royal family must first be approved by the Lord Chamberlain's office, whose role is "to oversee the conduct and general business of the Royal Household and to be a source and focal point for important matters which have implications for the Household as a whole".
The Advertising Standards Authority is the UK's independent regulator of advertising across all media. They apply the Advertising Codes, which are written by the Committees of Advertising Practice.
"Linking campaigns to Royal events is always tempting, and although general references to the Royal birth or simple congratulatory messages are potentially acceptable, ads shouldn't go as far as claiming or implying that a particular product is endorsed by the Royal Family or that a product is affiliated to Royal events when it is not," said the Advertising Standards Authority in a recent announcement.
Image via Shutterstock
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...