News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Advertisers warned about delivery of Royal birth advertising
Thinking of cashing in on the imminent birth of a new member of the British Royal family? You'd better brush up on your Advertising Standards Authority rules and regulations first.
It's a huge marketing opportunity and many big name advertisers have already jumped on the Royal baby bandwagon. However, caution is needed. Any use of material that shows, or mentions, any member of the Royal family must first be approved by the Lord Chamberlain's office, whose role is "to oversee the conduct and general business of the Royal Household and to be a source and focal point for important matters which have implications for the Household as a whole".
The Advertising Standards Authority is the UK's independent regulator of advertising across all media. They apply the Advertising Codes, which are written by the Committees of Advertising Practice.
"Linking campaigns to Royal events is always tempting, and although general references to the Royal birth or simple congratulatory messages are potentially acceptable, ads shouldn't go as far as claiming or implying that a particular product is endorsed by the Royal Family or that a product is affiliated to Royal events when it is not," said the Advertising Standards Authority in a recent announcement.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...