News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Advertisers warned about delivery of Royal birth advertising
Thinking of cashing in on the imminent birth of a new member of the British Royal family? You'd better brush up on your Advertising Standards Authority rules and regulations first.
It's a huge marketing opportunity and many big name advertisers have already jumped on the Royal baby bandwagon. However, caution is needed. Any use of material that shows, or mentions, any member of the Royal family must first be approved by the Lord Chamberlain's office, whose role is "to oversee the conduct and general business of the Royal Household and to be a source and focal point for important matters which have implications for the Household as a whole".
The Advertising Standards Authority is the UK's independent regulator of advertising across all media. They apply the Advertising Codes, which are written by the Committees of Advertising Practice.
"Linking campaigns to Royal events is always tempting, and although general references to the Royal birth or simple congratulatory messages are potentially acceptable, ads shouldn't go as far as claiming or implying that a particular product is endorsed by the Royal Family or that a product is affiliated to Royal events when it is not," said the Advertising Standards Authority in a recent announcement.
Image via Shutterstock
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....