News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ad industry lacks online CPM insight
Online advertising is no longer a new activity, it has been around for a decade or more, so one might assume that ad buyers have a good insight into CPMs. Not so, according to SQAD, whose recent survey found those who buy online ads are still unclear as to what they should be paying.
Research firm SQAD polled marketing and advertising professionals about their CPM expertise, and found it wanting. According to their survey, three-quarters of respondents were unable to identify which website category attracts the highest average CPMs. The correct answer is the finance/insurance and investment category ($22), yet most (30%) respondents incorrectly assumed the entertainment category ($9.50) had the highest CPMs.
Neil Klar, CEO of SQAD, said the lack of CPM insight is industry-wide. "The industry needs to make display ad costs more transparent so advertisers can make the right marketing decisions," he said.
The survey found that ad buyers were far more au fait with television ad costs. A majority (58%) correctly identified the primetime television program with the highest 30-second ad price - American Idol.
"We are finding that many ad buyers are still in the dark about how much they should be paying for display ads, despite the proliferation of online advertising over the past decade. The opposite is true with broadcast advertising," said Klar.
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...