News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ad industry lacks online CPM insight
Online advertising is no longer a new activity, it has been around for a decade or more, so one might assume that ad buyers have a good insight into CPMs. Not so, according to SQAD, whose recent survey found those who buy online ads are still unclear as to what they should be paying.
Research firm SQAD polled marketing and advertising professionals about their CPM expertise, and found it wanting. According to their survey, three-quarters of respondents were unable to identify which website category attracts the highest average CPMs. The correct answer is the finance/insurance and investment category ($22), yet most (30%) respondents incorrectly assumed the entertainment category ($9.50) had the highest CPMs.
Neil Klar, CEO of SQAD, said the lack of CPM insight is industry-wide. "The industry needs to make display ad costs more transparent so advertisers can make the right marketing decisions," he said.
The survey found that ad buyers were far more au fait with television ad costs. A majority (58%) correctly identified the primetime television program with the highest 30-second ad price - American Idol.
"We are finding that many ad buyers are still in the dark about how much they should be paying for display ads, despite the proliferation of online advertising over the past decade. The opposite is true with broadcast advertising," said Klar.
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...