News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ad industry lacks online CPM insight
Online advertising is no longer a new activity, it has been around for a decade or more, so one might assume that ad buyers have a good insight into CPMs. Not so, according to SQAD, whose recent survey found those who buy online ads are still unclear as to what they should be paying.
Research firm SQAD polled marketing and advertising professionals about their CPM expertise, and found it wanting. According to their survey, three-quarters of respondents were unable to identify which website category attracts the highest average CPMs. The correct answer is the finance/insurance and investment category ($22), yet most (30%) respondents incorrectly assumed the entertainment category ($9.50) had the highest CPMs.
Neil Klar, CEO of SQAD, said the lack of CPM insight is industry-wide. "The industry needs to make display ad costs more transparent so advertisers can make the right marketing decisions," he said.
The survey found that ad buyers were far more au fait with television ad costs. A majority (58%) correctly identified the primetime television program with the highest 30-second ad price - American Idol.
"We are finding that many ad buyers are still in the dark about how much they should be paying for display ads, despite the proliferation of online advertising over the past decade. The opposite is true with broadcast advertising," said Klar.
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...