News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ad industry lacks online CPM insight
Online advertising is no longer a new activity, it has been around for a decade or more, so one might assume that ad buyers have a good insight into CPMs. Not so, according to SQAD, whose recent survey found those who buy online ads are still unclear as to what they should be paying.
Research firm SQAD polled marketing and advertising professionals about their CPM expertise, and found it wanting. According to their survey, three-quarters of respondents were unable to identify which website category attracts the highest average CPMs. The correct answer is the finance/insurance and investment category ($22), yet most (30%) respondents incorrectly assumed the entertainment category ($9.50) had the highest CPMs.
Neil Klar, CEO of SQAD, said the lack of CPM insight is industry-wide. "The industry needs to make display ad costs more transparent so advertisers can make the right marketing decisions," he said.
The survey found that ad buyers were far more au fait with television ad costs. A majority (58%) correctly identified the primetime television program with the highest 30-second ad price - American Idol.
"We are finding that many ad buyers are still in the dark about how much they should be paying for display ads, despite the proliferation of online advertising over the past decade. The opposite is true with broadcast advertising," said Klar.
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
- Adobe: $27billion spent so far, 46% mobile traffic
- Nielsen: Generations bucking preconceived notions of behavior
- Study reveals shopping habits not influenced by Black Friday flash sales
- Study: Shoppers plan to spend more, save more this holiday
- How to respond to bad reviews
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...