News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'This Is Not Spam' rates analyzed
No matter how carefully an email campaign is developed and implemented, some messages can still end up in a recipient's spam folder. Email intelligence company, Return Path, has analyzed how often people "rescue" such emails from spam folders, and why.
Most email programs allow users to examine their spam folder before deleting the contents, and provide the ability to "rescue" emails that have inadvertently ended up labeled as spam.
Return Path analyzed how many emails are rescued, known as the This Is Not Spam (TINS) rate. They found that, within a sample of more than one billion messages received during the first quarter of 2013, fewer than two per thousand (0.17%) were rescued from the spam folder.
However, senders whose messages usually reach the inbox 97% of the time, or more, had TINS rates triple that of all other senders (0.44%).
"Senders with high TINS rates share common traits that extend beyond email marketing best practices. They use data-driven intelligence to connect with consumers and study their behavior and make decisions that increase loyalty across all channels," says George Bilbrey, president of Return Path. "Deeper examinations of metrics like TINS offer great examples of how brands can use data to develop more value from email."
Return Path's study, available online, found that brands to which consumers are loyal enough to rescue them from the spam folder include Apple, Netflix, Target, Amazon, Match.com, United Airlines, and Etsy, among others that are listed by category in the study.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...
- Motivations in the Marketing Mix
Direct targeting of consumers based on their motivations increased message relevance....
- 10 New Ways to Think About Affiliate Marketing Best Practices
Affiliate marketing is big business and it is poised to grow to $4.5 billion by 2016. While affiliate marketing is...
- Create Conversations, not Campaigns
Nobody wants to get blasted. Commercial email marketing has evolved out of the traditional direct-mail mindset, which is all about...