News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'This Is Not Spam' rates analyzed
No matter how carefully an email campaign is developed and implemented, some messages can still end up in a recipient's spam folder. Email intelligence company, Return Path, has analyzed how often people "rescue" such emails from spam folders, and why.
Most email programs allow users to examine their spam folder before deleting the contents, and provide the ability to "rescue" emails that have inadvertently ended up labeled as spam.
Return Path analyzed how many emails are rescued, known as the This Is Not Spam (TINS) rate. They found that, within a sample of more than one billion messages received during the first quarter of 2013, fewer than two per thousand (0.17%) were rescued from the spam folder.
However, senders whose messages usually reach the inbox 97% of the time, or more, had TINS rates triple that of all other senders (0.44%).
"Senders with high TINS rates share common traits that extend beyond email marketing best practices. They use data-driven intelligence to connect with consumers and study their behavior and make decisions that increase loyalty across all channels," says George Bilbrey, president of Return Path. "Deeper examinations of metrics like TINS offer great examples of how brands can use data to develop more value from email."
Return Path's study, available online, found that brands to which consumers are loyal enough to rescue them from the spam folder include Apple, Netflix, Target, Amazon, Match.com, United Airlines, and Etsy, among others that are listed by category in the study.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...