News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: SMBs missing out on mobile commerce
Despite knowing the importance of mobile to their bottom line, a large number of small businesses aren't planning to optimize their website any time soon, according to new figures released by TransFirst and ControlScan.
In their new report, "Small Merchants and Mobile Payments: 2013 Survey on Technology Awareness and Adoption", TransFirst, a leading provider of transaction processing services and payment enabling technologies, and ControlScan, a payment security and compliance solution provider, reveal that almost half (49%) of ecommerce merchants are aware that their websites are not optimized for mobile.
Another 17% don't actually know whether or not their websites are optimized. In fact, despite significant mobile adoption among consumers, just 31% of multi-channel businesses have a mobile optimized website.
To make matters worse, for both customers and small businesses, just 37% are either in the process of optimization (15%) or plan to optimize in the next year (22%).
The remainder? Well, they may have mobile consumers knocking on their doors but they aren't about to let them in. Twenty-one percent are 'somewhat interested' in mobile optimization and plan to do something within the next 1-2 years, 29% have no plans to optimize in the foreseeable future and another 13% are unsure.
"Business owners who aren't already up to speed with mobile payment acceptance need to have a viable plan of action to get there," said Craig Tieken, director of product at TransFirst.
David Abouchar, senior director of product management for ControlScan agrees. "The mobile payment survey findings show that small merchants have a real business need to effectively adapt to mobile technology trends. Now is the time for ISOs and acquirers to embrace these trends with innovative offerings that guide their merchants toward business growth and increased revenue."
Image via Shutterstock
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...