News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Email volume up 11%, most opens now on mobile
Email isn't slowing down. That according to new data out from Experian Marketing Services which shows email open rates continued an upward trends (11.6% increase) through Q1 2013. One thing has changed: most email opens are now completed via mobile device.
This trend underscores the need for brands to optimize email messages for multiple screens. The Experian report also shows:
• 59% of CPG brands saw 'statistically significant' unique clicks (Q1 2013)
• 53% of CPG brands saw 'statistically significant' email open increases
• 63% of media/entertainment brands also saw a significant upswing in email opens
Meanwhile, a trend brands may want to take advantage of: Gifting. The report shows that Father's Day campaigns utilizing 'gift' in the subject line saw 18% more click rates than other Father's Day campaigns. Over the Christmas holiday, emails using 'gift idea' headlines also saw significant engagement.
"With overall email volume increasing nearly 12 percent this past year, coupled with revenue per email remaining steady, the channel is showing strong growth to date in 2013," said Peter DeNunzio, general manager for cross-channel marketing at Experian Marketing Services. "This growth is evidenced in that 51 percent of brands saw increases in transaction rates. Multichannel retailers are receiving the highest gain in volume as consumers are continuing to engage across several channels, demonstrating the need for marketers to deliver consistent experiences to be successful today. Case in point being that more than 50 percent of total email opens occurred on mobile devices for Q1 2013."
E-receipts are another trend than can make business simpler for many brands, and Experian's report shows that e-receipts have higher unique open rates than bulk mailings. This is credited to the receipts being triggered by an actual purchase. However, the practice also offers brands another chance to engage the buyer with related items - a computer purchase, for example, could trigger a coupon in the e-receipt for peripheral items.
Image via Shutterstock
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....