News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Portrait of an affluent consumer
We're still a few months away from the busy holiday shopping season, but new data out from comScore and Martini Media may help brands better target affluent shoppers once the season is upon us.
Researchers from comScore and Martini Media found that, not surprisingly, affluent shoppers are still spending more than non-affluents (Q1 2013 vs. Q4 2012); they are about 47% more likely to make an online purchase and are spending about 41% more on purchases than their non-affluent counterparts (Q1 2013). This is a slight change from Q4 when affluents spent only about 15% more than non-affluents.
And, on luxury-specific sites 3 in 4 are spending an average of $184 per purchase.
"The affluent audience can consistently be found online for both work and play," said Skip Brand, CEO of Martini Media. You can learn more about the study here. "This study demonstrates how steady the digital affluent footprint is throughout the year, whereas other segments' spending wanes after the holiday period. Brand success is dependent on focusing digital ad dollars toward the affluent audience and effectively reaching and engaging them online."
"While the holiday season spurs gains in e-commerce spending across income segments, affluent consumers also exhibit strong online spending patterns throughout the year," said Kent Parmington, Manager, comScore. "This study highlights the overall significance of affluents to the e-commerce sector, and helps demonstrate why it's important for brands - and particularly luxury brands - to connect with them effectively."
According to the report affluents are most likely to shell out additional cash on events/tickets ($171) and apparel ($163) or electronics ($155).
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...