News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Portrait of an affluent consumer
We're still a few months away from the busy holiday shopping season, but new data out from comScore and Martini Media may help brands better target affluent shoppers once the season is upon us.
Researchers from comScore and Martini Media found that, not surprisingly, affluent shoppers are still spending more than non-affluents (Q1 2013 vs. Q4 2012); they are about 47% more likely to make an online purchase and are spending about 41% more on purchases than their non-affluent counterparts (Q1 2013). This is a slight change from Q4 when affluents spent only about 15% more than non-affluents.
And, on luxury-specific sites 3 in 4 are spending an average of $184 per purchase.
"The affluent audience can consistently be found online for both work and play," said Skip Brand, CEO of Martini Media. You can learn more about the study here. "This study demonstrates how steady the digital affluent footprint is throughout the year, whereas other segments' spending wanes after the holiday period. Brand success is dependent on focusing digital ad dollars toward the affluent audience and effectively reaching and engaging them online."
"While the holiday season spurs gains in e-commerce spending across income segments, affluent consumers also exhibit strong online spending patterns throughout the year," said Kent Parmington, Manager, comScore. "This study highlights the overall significance of affluents to the e-commerce sector, and helps demonstrate why it's important for brands - and particularly luxury brands - to connect with them effectively."
According to the report affluents are most likely to shell out additional cash on events/tickets ($171) and apparel ($163) or electronics ($155).
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....