News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Portrait of an affluent consumer
We're still a few months away from the busy holiday shopping season, but new data out from comScore and Martini Media may help brands better target affluent shoppers once the season is upon us.
Researchers from comScore and Martini Media found that, not surprisingly, affluent shoppers are still spending more than non-affluents (Q1 2013 vs. Q4 2012); they are about 47% more likely to make an online purchase and are spending about 41% more on purchases than their non-affluent counterparts (Q1 2013). This is a slight change from Q4 when affluents spent only about 15% more than non-affluents.
And, on luxury-specific sites 3 in 4 are spending an average of $184 per purchase.
"The affluent audience can consistently be found online for both work and play," said Skip Brand, CEO of Martini Media. You can learn more about the study here. "This study demonstrates how steady the digital affluent footprint is throughout the year, whereas other segments' spending wanes after the holiday period. Brand success is dependent on focusing digital ad dollars toward the affluent audience and effectively reaching and engaging them online."
"While the holiday season spurs gains in e-commerce spending across income segments, affluent consumers also exhibit strong online spending patterns throughout the year," said Kent Parmington, Manager, comScore. "This study highlights the overall significance of affluents to the e-commerce sector, and helps demonstrate why it's important for brands - and particularly luxury brands - to connect with them effectively."
According to the report affluents are most likely to shell out additional cash on events/tickets ($171) and apparel ($163) or electronics ($155).
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...