News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Portrait of an affluent consumer
We're still a few months away from the busy holiday shopping season, but new data out from comScore and Martini Media may help brands better target affluent shoppers once the season is upon us.
Researchers from comScore and Martini Media found that, not surprisingly, affluent shoppers are still spending more than non-affluents (Q1 2013 vs. Q4 2012); they are about 47% more likely to make an online purchase and are spending about 41% more on purchases than their non-affluent counterparts (Q1 2013). This is a slight change from Q4 when affluents spent only about 15% more than non-affluents.
And, on luxury-specific sites 3 in 4 are spending an average of $184 per purchase.
"The affluent audience can consistently be found online for both work and play," said Skip Brand, CEO of Martini Media. You can learn more about the study here. "This study demonstrates how steady the digital affluent footprint is throughout the year, whereas other segments' spending wanes after the holiday period. Brand success is dependent on focusing digital ad dollars toward the affluent audience and effectively reaching and engaging them online."
"While the holiday season spurs gains in e-commerce spending across income segments, affluent consumers also exhibit strong online spending patterns throughout the year," said Kent Parmington, Manager, comScore. "This study highlights the overall significance of affluents to the e-commerce sector, and helps demonstrate why it's important for brands - and particularly luxury brands - to connect with them effectively."
According to the report affluents are most likely to shell out additional cash on events/tickets ($171) and apparel ($163) or electronics ($155).
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: What consumers really want from loyalty programs
- Top 4 Tips to Manage Relationship Between Developers, Marketers
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...