News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IAB UK: Fashion retailers perform best in mobile marketing
Among the top 50 retailers in the UK, it's the fashion sector that has really got to grips with mobile and tablet marketing, according to new research released today by the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) UK.
In a Mobile Retail Audit, carried out between May and June 2013, the fashion retail sector was found to be over-performing compared to others. All (8 out of 8) had mobile optimized websites and 7 out of the 8 had mobile specific search strategies.
"This research shows that although the fashion specific retailers have grasped the essentials of mobile marketing there is still a large percentage of the top spending retailers that haven't," said the IAB's head of mobile, Alex Kozloff.
When looking at various different mobile marketing measures implemented by the top 50 UK retailers - such as optimization of websites, apps, mobile-optimized search campaigns and in-store Wi-Fi - it was obvious that mobile is now ingrained in the industry.
However, while three-quarters (74%) had a mobile optimized website, only 8% had a tablet optimized website. And, while 81% had implemented transactional functionality into mobile optimized websites, just 48% of retailers' apps were transactional.
Other elements of a mobile marketing strategy, such as search and a 'single user' approach (allowing user accounts that operate across both desktop and mobile apps), were yet to be implemented by retailers. Less than half (48%) optimized search campaigns for mobile and just 10% offered a 'single user' approach, denying consumers a seamless digital experience.
"With so many consumers now deciding to shop online brands can't afford to not get this right," said Kozloff. "The IAB will be reaching out to retail brands specifically over the coming months to help educate them further about how to make the most of mobile."
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...