News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
FTC tells search engines to better distinguish paid from organic results
Have search engines been doing enough to distinguish clearly between organic search results, paid search results and ads? Not according to the Federal Trade Commission, who this week notified several search engines that they need to do better.
In 2002, the Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Consumer Protection wrote to search engines advising them of the potential for consumers to be deceived by not prominently distinguishing between organic and paid search results, or other advertising on their websites.
While search engines embraced the guidance given at the time, a letter sent out by the FTC to seven search engines this week indicates that, since then, there has been a decline in compliance.
The updated guidelines contained in the letter emphasize "the need for visual cues, labels, or other techniques to effectively distinguish advertisements, in order to avoid misleading consumers". Also noted was that the background shading used by some search engines to distinguish ads from organic results had become "significantly less visible".
Those search engines that don't follow the rules could find themselves open to investigation and found to be in violation of Section 5 of the FTC Act, leading to fines.
"We encourage you to review your websites or other methods of displaying search results, including your use of specialized search, and make any necessary adjustments to ensure you clearly and prominently disclose any advertising," says the FTC letter. "In addition, as your business may change in response to consumers' search demands, the disclosure techniques you use for advertising should keep pace with innovations in how and where you deliver information to consumers."
Image via Shutterstock
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
- Report: Millennials spending more time with UGC
- New AdWords format includes detailed consumer opinion data
- Quarter of UK's top finance brands have no mobile website, apps
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....