News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Does owning a tablet make you more 'newsie'? Owners like to think so.
The results of a new study reveal that American tablet owners believe they are more up-to-date with current news and events than their non-tablet owning friends. But, are they lying?
The study, conducted by Wakefield Research for Next Issue Media, an app start-up that is a joint-venture formed by five leading U.S.-based publishers - Condé Nast, Hearst, Meredith, News Corp., and Time Inc - found that more than half (54%) of Americans like to think they're up with current news.
In fact, 56% believe they are more news-aware than their friends - men more so than women (65% vs. 48%). The study says they like to be known as "newsie" among their friends, knowledgeable about current events, not necessarily sport, fashion or celebrity gossip but, you know, 'proper' news.
However, tablet owners think they are the newsie-est of all. Almost 7 in 10 (69%) tablet owners felt they knew more about current events than their friends, compared to 47% of non-tablet owners.
Big-headed tablet owners do try to live up to their self-imposed reputation - by pretending to know things they don't. Over half (52%) admitted to lying about knowing about a story in order to impress friends, compared with just 27% of non-tablet users and 37% overall. All that technology at their fingertips obviously makes them feel like they should be one step ahead of less technologically-endowed friends, even though most clearly aren't.
- Release makes push notifications actionable
- Early results show skipping ads improves engagement
- Top 3 tips to better personalize online campaigns
- Pinterest gives businesses a deeper peek into their Pinners
- Parents give retailers advice on making back-to-school shopping more bearable
- Study reveals impact of mobile use on Japanese students' grades
- Poll: SMB owners voting out incumbents
- How to improve worker productivity
Featured White Papers
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...
- Ready, Set, Send: Marketing Automation and the Customer Lifecycle
Much like running a marathon, building a successful marketing program takes dedication, patience, training and a lot of stamina. These...