News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Does owning a tablet make you more 'newsie'? Owners like to think so.
The results of a new study reveal that American tablet owners believe they are more up-to-date with current news and events than their non-tablet owning friends. But, are they lying?
The study, conducted by Wakefield Research for Next Issue Media, an app start-up that is a joint-venture formed by five leading U.S.-based publishers - Condé Nast, Hearst, Meredith, News Corp., and Time Inc - found that more than half (54%) of Americans like to think they're up with current news.
In fact, 56% believe they are more news-aware than their friends - men more so than women (65% vs. 48%). The study says they like to be known as "newsie" among their friends, knowledgeable about current events, not necessarily sport, fashion or celebrity gossip but, you know, 'proper' news.
However, tablet owners think they are the newsie-est of all. Almost 7 in 10 (69%) tablet owners felt they knew more about current events than their friends, compared to 47% of non-tablet owners.
Big-headed tablet owners do try to live up to their self-imposed reputation - by pretending to know things they don't. Over half (52%) admitted to lying about knowing about a story in order to impress friends, compared with just 27% of non-tablet users and 37% overall. All that technology at their fingertips obviously makes them feel like they should be one step ahead of less technologically-endowed friends, even though most clearly aren't.
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...