News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Does owning a tablet make you more 'newsie'? Owners like to think so.
The results of a new study reveal that American tablet owners believe they are more up-to-date with current news and events than their non-tablet owning friends. But, are they lying?
The study, conducted by Wakefield Research for Next Issue Media, an app start-up that is a joint-venture formed by five leading U.S.-based publishers - Condé Nast, Hearst, Meredith, News Corp., and Time Inc - found that more than half (54%) of Americans like to think they're up with current news.
In fact, 56% believe they are more news-aware than their friends - men more so than women (65% vs. 48%). The study says they like to be known as "newsie" among their friends, knowledgeable about current events, not necessarily sport, fashion or celebrity gossip but, you know, 'proper' news.
However, tablet owners think they are the newsie-est of all. Almost 7 in 10 (69%) tablet owners felt they knew more about current events than their friends, compared to 47% of non-tablet owners.
Big-headed tablet owners do try to live up to their self-imposed reputation - by pretending to know things they don't. Over half (52%) admitted to lying about knowing about a story in order to impress friends, compared with just 27% of non-tablet users and 37% overall. All that technology at their fingertips obviously makes them feel like they should be one step ahead of less technologically-endowed friends, even though most clearly aren't.
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....