News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Does owning a tablet make you more 'newsie'? Owners like to think so.
The results of a new study reveal that American tablet owners believe they are more up-to-date with current news and events than their non-tablet owning friends. But, are they lying?
The study, conducted by Wakefield Research for Next Issue Media, an app start-up that is a joint-venture formed by five leading U.S.-based publishers - Condé Nast, Hearst, Meredith, News Corp., and Time Inc - found that more than half (54%) of Americans like to think they're up with current news.
In fact, 56% believe they are more news-aware than their friends - men more so than women (65% vs. 48%). The study says they like to be known as "newsie" among their friends, knowledgeable about current events, not necessarily sport, fashion or celebrity gossip but, you know, 'proper' news.
However, tablet owners think they are the newsie-est of all. Almost 7 in 10 (69%) tablet owners felt they knew more about current events than their friends, compared to 47% of non-tablet owners.
Big-headed tablet owners do try to live up to their self-imposed reputation - by pretending to know things they don't. Over half (52%) admitted to lying about knowing about a story in order to impress friends, compared with just 27% of non-tablet users and 37% overall. All that technology at their fingertips obviously makes them feel like they should be one step ahead of less technologically-endowed friends, even though most clearly aren't.
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....