News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Does owning a tablet make you more 'newsie'? Owners like to think so.
The results of a new study reveal that American tablet owners believe they are more up-to-date with current news and events than their non-tablet owning friends. But, are they lying?
The study, conducted by Wakefield Research for Next Issue Media, an app start-up that is a joint-venture formed by five leading U.S.-based publishers - Condé Nast, Hearst, Meredith, News Corp., and Time Inc - found that more than half (54%) of Americans like to think they're up with current news.
In fact, 56% believe they are more news-aware than their friends - men more so than women (65% vs. 48%). The study says they like to be known as "newsie" among their friends, knowledgeable about current events, not necessarily sport, fashion or celebrity gossip but, you know, 'proper' news.
However, tablet owners think they are the newsie-est of all. Almost 7 in 10 (69%) tablet owners felt they knew more about current events than their friends, compared to 47% of non-tablet owners.
Big-headed tablet owners do try to live up to their self-imposed reputation - by pretending to know things they don't. Over half (52%) admitted to lying about knowing about a story in order to impress friends, compared with just 27% of non-tablet users and 37% overall. All that technology at their fingertips obviously makes them feel like they should be one step ahead of less technologically-endowed friends, even though most clearly aren't.
- Global online travel market to exceed $1billion by 2022
- UK shoppers choose supermarkets primarily on location, not price
- Ecommerce Roundup: As digital increases, so does fraud
- Survey: Health Lifestyle grabs consumer interest
- Alibaba forms alliance with big brands to fight counterfeiting
- Expert: What marketers need to know about RegTech
- Mobile 'click injection' fraud forecast to become prevalent in 2017
- DMA: Email click-through rates continue to fall
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...