News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers protect privacy with false personal information
Privacy concerns lead to consumers providing false data to websites, or the avoidance of giving information they don't think is necessary, according to two new research papers by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) and US-based not-for-profit Customer Commons.
Almost half (47%) of Australians provide websites with inaccurate personal information, intentionally, according to the ACMA paper 'The Cloud: services, computing and digital data - Emerging issues in media and communications, Occasional paper 3'. Most provide inaccurate information when they do not feel that the information is needed by the website.
Over half (52%) of Australians have low confidence in the privacy settings of online providers, and a further 35% would not provide personal at all if a website were based outside of Australia.
"Privacy remains an enduring concept in the media and communications environment," said ACMA Chairman Chris Chapman. "And as several recent events have demonstrated, citizens remain highly sensitive to intrusions on their privacy and the mishandling of their personal data - perhaps more so."
The results of the research not only highlight users' concerns about online privacy, but also pose a problem for advertisers and marketers seeking to use such data to target future campaigns.
Last month, California-based not-for-profit, Customer Commons, released a research paper, 'Lying and Hiding in the Name of Privacy'. Researchers Mary Hodder and Elizabeth Churchill found that only 8.45% of respondents always accurately disclosed personal information. The remaining 91.55%, when they decided a website did not need specific personal information, chose to provide inaccurate data such as zip codes, phone numbers or date of birth.
Furthermore, many chose to withhold at least some personal data such as:
- 49.3% did not give their true identity;
- 58.3% did not provide a primary email address;
- 75.7% avoid providing a mobile number;
- 74.8% avoid using 'social logins'.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...