News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cardiff University beats prestigious Oxford in online presence stakes
It may be one of the most prestigious centers of learning in the world, but Oxford University can award itself a fail grade when it comes to its online presence, according to new research by user experience agency Webcredible.
When UK-based Webcredible evaluated the online presence of ten of the UK's universities, pass marks didn't automatically go to those with the best reputations. In fact, Oxford University, one of the oldest and most-respected, had the poorest online presence of them all.
Situated among the dreaming spires of Oxford, the university scored just 18 out of 50 for its online presence, coming tenth and last, trailing its neighbor Oxford Brookes, which came in seventh, and Cambridge University, in fifth place.
It was Cardiff University that achieved first place with a score of 33 out of 50, thanks to its "exemplary homepage", the only one in the study to receive full marks.
The best practice guidelines used to rate the universities included course finding and tuition fee information, social media presence, details of accommodation availability and costs, the website's mobile and tablet experience and fresher's week advice.
Trenton Moss, founder and commercial director at Webcredible, believes Oxford may be relying too much on its reputation and neglected its online presence.
"Universities are operating in an increasingly competitive market so they need to think like businesses; an engaging, informative online presence is essential in order to attract prospective students, particularly high-paying international candidates," he said.
"It is vital that universities make it as easy as possible for prospective students to get the information they need throughout this process to make the right decision," Moss added.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...