News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
5000% surge in U.K. mcommerce sales
In 2010, mobile accounted for just 0.4% of sales in U.K. e-retail. In just three short years that figure has skyrocketed, with m-retail now accounting for one in every five online purchases.
5,000% - that's how much m-commerce has surged in the U.K. in the past three years, according to the latest figures published by IMRG and Capgemini.
Mobile sales in the U.K. broke the 20% of e-retail barrier during the first quarter of this year, according to the report. In 2010, mobile accounted for just 0.4% of the UK e-retail market, rising to 4% in 2011. By 2012, mobile accounted for 12% and now in Q1 of 2013, that figure is 20.2%, up from 15.4% in the previous quarter.
Mobile traffic to retail sites as a percentage of total traffic reached 30% in Q1 2013, up from 24% in Q4 2012.
IMRG and Capgemini suggest the rises in mobile sales and traffic in the first quarter are the result of a large increase in tablet owners following Christmas 2012.
"In 2020 when we look back on the last ten years, we will undoubtedly see it as the 'mobile decade'. In the first three years alone we have seen sales via mobile devices increase from nearly zero, to over 20% of all e-retail sales. However, we are only scratching the surface and over the next few years we will see the technology reveal its full potential," says Chris Webster, VP, Head of Retail Consulting and Technology at Capgemini.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- How dark social can impact brand
- Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
- 43% of all traffic to travel websites now comes from mobile
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...