News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
5000% surge in U.K. mcommerce sales
In 2010, mobile accounted for just 0.4% of sales in U.K. e-retail. In just three short years that figure has skyrocketed, with m-retail now accounting for one in every five online purchases.
5,000% - that's how much m-commerce has surged in the U.K. in the past three years, according to the latest figures published by IMRG and Capgemini.
Mobile sales in the U.K. broke the 20% of e-retail barrier during the first quarter of this year, according to the report. In 2010, mobile accounted for just 0.4% of the UK e-retail market, rising to 4% in 2011. By 2012, mobile accounted for 12% and now in Q1 of 2013, that figure is 20.2%, up from 15.4% in the previous quarter.
Mobile traffic to retail sites as a percentage of total traffic reached 30% in Q1 2013, up from 24% in Q4 2012.
IMRG and Capgemini suggest the rises in mobile sales and traffic in the first quarter are the result of a large increase in tablet owners following Christmas 2012.
"In 2020 when we look back on the last ten years, we will undoubtedly see it as the 'mobile decade'. In the first three years alone we have seen sales via mobile devices increase from nearly zero, to over 20% of all e-retail sales. However, we are only scratching the surface and over the next few years we will see the technology reveal its full potential," says Chris Webster, VP, Head of Retail Consulting and Technology at Capgemini.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...