News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
5000% surge in U.K. mcommerce sales
In 2010, mobile accounted for just 0.4% of sales in U.K. e-retail. In just three short years that figure has skyrocketed, with m-retail now accounting for one in every five online purchases.
5,000% - that's how much m-commerce has surged in the U.K. in the past three years, according to the latest figures published by IMRG and Capgemini.
Mobile sales in the U.K. broke the 20% of e-retail barrier during the first quarter of this year, according to the report. In 2010, mobile accounted for just 0.4% of the UK e-retail market, rising to 4% in 2011. By 2012, mobile accounted for 12% and now in Q1 of 2013, that figure is 20.2%, up from 15.4% in the previous quarter.
Mobile traffic to retail sites as a percentage of total traffic reached 30% in Q1 2013, up from 24% in Q4 2012.
IMRG and Capgemini suggest the rises in mobile sales and traffic in the first quarter are the result of a large increase in tablet owners following Christmas 2012.
"In 2020 when we look back on the last ten years, we will undoubtedly see it as the 'mobile decade'. In the first three years alone we have seen sales via mobile devices increase from nearly zero, to over 20% of all e-retail sales. However, we are only scratching the surface and over the next few years we will see the technology reveal its full potential," says Chris Webster, VP, Head of Retail Consulting and Technology at Capgemini.
Image via Shutterstock
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...