News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Word of mouth key to mobile game discovery
Word of mouth is the number one way mobile gamers learn about and find games they like, according to a new study released by app promotion firm Applifier.
When Applifier asked 1,800 gamers what their number one way of discovering mobile games was, the overwhelming result was word of mouth. The top three options were all word of mouth related:
43% - reading user reviews;
36% - hearing about a game from a friend or family member;
25% - watching a friend or family member play a game.
Another online format that drives mobile gamers to acquire a game is video. A significant number, 70%, said they have watched online video about mobile games in the last week and 45% said watching such video had driven them to download a game right away.
While most mobile gamers download up to five mobile games each month, 20% are classed as "sharers". This segment of mobile gamers is more likely to download more games, play more frequently and for longer and convert to paying users. They also love sharing features such as sharing scores and achievements, sharing game tips and sharing screenshots.
"Given the challenging road ahead for game discovery in the app stores, and the results revealed in the Applifier survey, we encourage developers to focus on improving online word of-mouth by addressing Sharers via building sharing functionality into mobile games, using social features to attract and retain Sharers and targeting online game video as an influential form of sharing," concludes Applifier's 'State of Mobile Game Discovery Q2 2013', which can be found online.
- Study: Most want loyalty to be mobile
- Expert: Data key to video strategy
- Study: Half of loyalty club members want retail redemption options
- Unilever to up digital spend following display ad trial
- FreeWheel: Video ad views up 24% YoY
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...