News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Americans want on-demand, not programmed content
When it comes to entertainment, fewer and fewer Americans are choosing programming and instead are turning to on-demand, personalized content. Like the playlists on their MP3 players or online sites like Pandora for music.
According to new data out from Stitcher about 60% of surveyed respondents believe AM/FM radio will be 'dead' within the next five years; 71% of Millennials and students believe this. Other interesting findings from the report include:
• Most 18-34 year olds prefer to watch movies on demand
• 18-34 year olds are doubly likely to listen to music on demand as those between 35-54 years of age
• 18-34 year olds are twice as likely to watch television on demand as those 55+
• 81% of adults 'always or mostly' watch or listen to listed entertainment programs on demand
Why the trend to on demand programming? In a word: fewer commercials. Younger demographics, especially, do not like to have programming interrupted for those pesky ads, it seems. One more reason: it's more convenient. By choosing on-demand, these viewers and listeners can conduct life - work, dinner with friends or significant others, family time - without the hassle of needing to be home at a certain time to watch a certain program.
"We're relying on our smartphones and mobile technology now more than ever," said Noah Shanok, CEO of Stitcher. "We're a nation on the go, and we want access to our favorite radio shows and music at a time that's convenient for us. With the latest advancements in streaming technology, apps like Stitcher put entertainment right at your fingertips."
Harris Interactive conducted the survey on behalf of Stitcher Radio.
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...