News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study identifies 3 simple tactics to boost Twitter Follower numbers
Be happy, don't talk about yourself, and rein in hashtag use. These three Twitter tactics to boost Followers come from a first-of-its-kind study from researchers at Georgia Tech.
After examining half a million Tweets from more than 500 Twitter users over 15 months, researchers at Georgia Tech were able to determine factors that can help Twitter users grow their band of Followers.
"Followers are Twitter's most basic currency, yet little is understood about how to grow such an audience," said Eric Gilbert, assistant professor in Georgia Tech's School of Interactive Computing. "By examining multiple factors that affect tie formation and dissolution over time on Twitter, we've discovered information that could help technologists design and build tools that help users grow their audiences."
After identifying a list of 2,800 emotive terms that suggested whether a Tweet was positive of negative, including the use of acronyms, such as LOL, emoticons and slang and swear words, three main tactics were identified:
* Keep "me talk" to a minimum: Content focused on the Tweeter attracts less Followers, yet Twitter users talked about themselves in 41% of Tweets, on average.
* Be happy: Positive Tweets have a better chance of attracting Followers than negative. "Twitter is mainly based on weak social ties", found the research, and such anonymity ups the importance of keeping Tweets up-beat.
*Cool it on the hashtags: While hashtags are definitely useful tools for expressing emotional commentary or tying Tweets to larger events or issues, they can be abused. Researchers found that the higher a Twitter users' "hashtag ratio," the less likely they were to attract new followers.
"To our knowledge, this is the first longitudinal study of follow predictors on Twitter," said Gilbert. "For the first time, we were able to explore the relative effects of social behavior, message content and network structure and show which of these factors has more influence on the number of Twitter Followers."
The study, which can be read in its entirety online, also found that Tweets that remain on topic and employ good spelling and grammar also attracted more Followers.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
- Platforms enhance mobile experience
- Few marketers plan for social media negativity
- Report highlights mobile's role in hotel customer experience
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....