News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study identifies 3 simple tactics to boost Twitter Follower numbers
Be happy, don't talk about yourself, and rein in hashtag use. These three Twitter tactics to boost Followers come from a first-of-its-kind study from researchers at Georgia Tech.
After examining half a million Tweets from more than 500 Twitter users over 15 months, researchers at Georgia Tech were able to determine factors that can help Twitter users grow their band of Followers.
"Followers are Twitter's most basic currency, yet little is understood about how to grow such an audience," said Eric Gilbert, assistant professor in Georgia Tech's School of Interactive Computing. "By examining multiple factors that affect tie formation and dissolution over time on Twitter, we've discovered information that could help technologists design and build tools that help users grow their audiences."
After identifying a list of 2,800 emotive terms that suggested whether a Tweet was positive of negative, including the use of acronyms, such as LOL, emoticons and slang and swear words, three main tactics were identified:
* Keep "me talk" to a minimum: Content focused on the Tweeter attracts less Followers, yet Twitter users talked about themselves in 41% of Tweets, on average.
* Be happy: Positive Tweets have a better chance of attracting Followers than negative. "Twitter is mainly based on weak social ties", found the research, and such anonymity ups the importance of keeping Tweets up-beat.
*Cool it on the hashtags: While hashtags are definitely useful tools for expressing emotional commentary or tying Tweets to larger events or issues, they can be abused. Researchers found that the higher a Twitter users' "hashtag ratio," the less likely they were to attract new followers.
"To our knowledge, this is the first longitudinal study of follow predictors on Twitter," said Gilbert. "For the first time, we were able to explore the relative effects of social behavior, message content and network structure and show which of these factors has more influence on the number of Twitter Followers."
The study, which can be read in its entirety online, also found that Tweets that remain on topic and employ good spelling and grammar also attracted more Followers.
Image via Shutterstock
- Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
- 43% of all traffic to travel websites now comes from mobile
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...