News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Consumers want more corporate responsibility
Although some state that with the increase in cyber connections, we are losing our human connections, one report indicates that an increasing number of consumers are pushing for deeper corporate responsibility on a variety of issues. Especially in the social space, the report finds that consumers are looking for greater corporate social responsibility (CSR) in their favorite brands.
So much so that more than 90% say they will boycott brands found to behave irresponsibly.
"Consumers across the globe resoundingly affirm CSR as a critical business strategy," said Dan Soulas, Managing Director, Echo Research. "It is vital for companies to understand the unique, market level nuances to effectively participate in CSR interchange. A one size fits all approach just won't work."
According to the 2013 Cone Communications/Echo Global CSR Study, a follow up to a 2011 study, more than one-quarter of consumers use social media to 'share negative information' about brands and more than 80% say they consider corporate social responsibility (CSR) when choosing where to shop and buy products.
Other interesting take aways include:
• One-third (34%) of people use social media to share positives about brands/issues
• 29% use social media to learn about issues/organizations
• 38% of consumers believe brands should focus on economic development, environmental and human rights issues
• 91% say brands need to 'go beyond minimum standards' to operate responsibly
"Social media is changing the face of CSR, as citizens worldwide have unprecedented access to information about corporate behavior," says Alison DaSilva, executive vice president - Research & Insights, Cone Communications. "They are poised to not only engage with companies around vital issues but also serve as CSR megaphones, equally propagating the good and bad."
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...