News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
QR Code scanning takes off in China
China may have been slow to embrace QR Codes but, as recent statistics revealed at the AllthingsD D11 conference this week show, use is on the rise, quadrupling in just one year.
QR Codes in China aren't new, they've been in use for almost a decade, although their use has been somewhat limited. It wasn't until several large Internet firms in China started to base new services on the code that their use by ordinary consumers took off. Tencent Holdings, a leading Internet and mobile phone service provider, launched its QR Code scanning services in 2012.
Today, in China, QR Codes are being used for a multitude of things - to pay for products, redeem coupons, check transport times, social networking and information discovery. The British Embassy in Beijing has a large QR Code on the front gate, grocery shoppers at Carrefour can scan produce, and a Shenyang cemetery has proposed using QR Codes on headstones to allow visitors to view the deceased's details. Even watermelons have QR Codes.
According to Mary Meeker in her latest report on the state of the Internet, China now scans 9 million QR Codes every month, up from 2 million last year.
As well as being a new way for people to get access to goods and services, scanning QR Codes is becoming fashionable among mobile users.
"QR Codes make it more convenient for users to operate their smartphones, and will be an important tool for mobile Internet use in the future," Li Zhi, a senior analyst at Beijing-based Internet services firm Analysys International, told the Global Times earlier this year.
Image via Shutterstock
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
- Ad Roundup: Analysis basis for releases, expansions
- Half of UK charities have no digital strategy
- Trends to watch for video in 2017
- 78% of over-55s uncomfortable with concept of stores run by robots
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...