News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile local search quadrupled in 2012
Local search via mobile devices more than quadrupled in 2012, according to a new report by comScore released by the Local Search Association.
The rapid adoption of smartphones and tablets has driven a significant rise in mobile local search, concludes the Local Search Association, whose members comprise of digital, print, mobile and social companies.
According to the recent report, prepared by comScore, traffic to online directories and other local resources more than quadrupled in 2012, accounting for 27% of total non-PC web traffic in December 2012 compared with just 6% in December, 2011.
"Growth in local mobile engagement, particularly via online directories and other local resources, presents a clear opportunity for local search companies to promote their innovative tools to connect businesses and consumers," said Neg Norton, president of the Local Search Association. "While consumers are showing a preference for apps over browsers, offerings on both platforms deserve attention and investment."
In particular, the report found that Internet Yellow Pages (IYP) mobile app users were of a particularly desirable demographic. More than half (53%) are between 25 and 44 years of age and are 51% more likely to have an income greater than $100,000. They are also far more likely to make a purchase via their mobile device at least once per month - 41% versus just 19% of all smartphone users.
"IYP mobile apps are a powerful tool for local businesses to reach ready-to-buy consumers," said Norton. "As the market continues to evolve, IYP mobile apps represent an easy first-step for local businesses to expand their integrated advertising efforts into the mobile space."
More information about the report can be found on Local Search Insider, the blog for the Local Search Association.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...