News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Arbitron: U.K. smartphone users spend most time with mcommerce apps
U.K. smartphone users are much more active users of mcommerce apps than their counterparts in Europe and America, according to a new report released by Arbitron this week.
Mcommerce apps are used by two-thirds (66.8%) of U.K. smartphone owners, found Arbitron, compared with 57.6% in Germany, 55.9% in the U.S. and just over half (52.5%) in France.
The number of mcommerce sessions in the U.K., as well as total time spent with apps, is over 50% higher than the average of all Western markets surveyed.
U.K. smartphone users spend, on average, 134.8 minutes per month with mcommerce apps, notching up 54.5 sessions each month. Meanwhile, in the U.S., users spend 91 minutes per month over 30.8 sessions; in German 74.3 minutes over 32.1 sessions and, in France, 56.1 minutes per month over 23.9 sessions per month.
The leading mcommerce app in the U.K. is eBay, used by 43.8% of Arbitron's mobile panellists for around 144.1 minutes per month across 52.1 sessions. eBay is way ahead of the 2nd most popular mcommerce app, Amazon Mobile, used by just 16% for 29.1 minutes per month across 9.5 sessions.
"If they haven't already, merchants should be taking advantage of the development of the mobile medium and ensure that they have a diversified strategy to engage consumers across different touch points - mcommerce isn't just an appendix to ecommerce, and apps aren't just a downloadable declination of mobile-optimized sites," Andreas Piani, general manager of European Arbitron Mobile, told Mobile Commerce Daily.
"It's also crucial to have a plan to deal with the highly fragmented nature of the medium and ensure that all properties are optimized across the prevalent operating systems, device types and screen sizes," he added.
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...