News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
American Airlines email takes off with abandoned cart trigger program
The creation of an automated abandoned shopping cart trigger email program has proved highly successful for American Airlines with conversion, open, and click-through rates substantially higher than for standard fare sale campaigns.
Not everyone that looks online at air travel prices will book straight away. Many are browsing to research and compare prices. However, American Airlines wanted to keep these prospects "engaged and recapture the revenue", so they collaborated with digital marketing solutions firm e-Dialog and created an email program that would do just that.
The resulting abandoned shopping cart trigger email program targets customers who log on to the American Airlines website, place a flight in the shopping cart, but do not go on to make a purchase. Within 24 hours, personalized email messages are sent to the abandoners with the lowest and most flexible fare options relevant to the flights they had placed in the abandoned shopping cart.
The results are impressive. Compared with standard fare sale campaigns the triggered emails resulted in 300% higher open rates, 200% higher click-through rates and 400% higher conversion rates.
"Not only did the Abandoned Cart Program deliver phenomenal results, but the learning it provided on big data analysis is helping us to improve the relevance of all our email programs," said Kay Kerman, Director Email Marketing Strategy at American Airlines.
For more in-depth discussion about the triggered email program, watch Kay Kerman's presentation at MediaPost's 2013 Email Insider Summit.
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...