News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
American Airlines email takes off with abandoned cart trigger program
The creation of an automated abandoned shopping cart trigger email program has proved highly successful for American Airlines with conversion, open, and click-through rates substantially higher than for standard fare sale campaigns.
Not everyone that looks online at air travel prices will book straight away. Many are browsing to research and compare prices. However, American Airlines wanted to keep these prospects "engaged and recapture the revenue", so they collaborated with digital marketing solutions firm e-Dialog and created an email program that would do just that.
The resulting abandoned shopping cart trigger email program targets customers who log on to the American Airlines website, place a flight in the shopping cart, but do not go on to make a purchase. Within 24 hours, personalized email messages are sent to the abandoners with the lowest and most flexible fare options relevant to the flights they had placed in the abandoned shopping cart.
The results are impressive. Compared with standard fare sale campaigns the triggered emails resulted in 300% higher open rates, 200% higher click-through rates and 400% higher conversion rates.
"Not only did the Abandoned Cart Program deliver phenomenal results, but the learning it provided on big data analysis is helping us to improve the relevance of all our email programs," said Kay Kerman, Director Email Marketing Strategy at American Airlines.
For more in-depth discussion about the triggered email program, watch Kay Kerman's presentation at MediaPost's 2013 Email Insider Summit.
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...