News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
American Airlines email takes off with abandoned cart trigger program
The creation of an automated abandoned shopping cart trigger email program has proved highly successful for American Airlines with conversion, open, and click-through rates substantially higher than for standard fare sale campaigns.
Not everyone that looks online at air travel prices will book straight away. Many are browsing to research and compare prices. However, American Airlines wanted to keep these prospects "engaged and recapture the revenue", so they collaborated with digital marketing solutions firm e-Dialog and created an email program that would do just that.
The resulting abandoned shopping cart trigger email program targets customers who log on to the American Airlines website, place a flight in the shopping cart, but do not go on to make a purchase. Within 24 hours, personalized email messages are sent to the abandoners with the lowest and most flexible fare options relevant to the flights they had placed in the abandoned shopping cart.
The results are impressive. Compared with standard fare sale campaigns the triggered emails resulted in 300% higher open rates, 200% higher click-through rates and 400% higher conversion rates.
"Not only did the Abandoned Cart Program deliver phenomenal results, but the learning it provided on big data analysis is helping us to improve the relevance of all our email programs," said Kay Kerman, Director Email Marketing Strategy at American Airlines.
For more in-depth discussion about the triggered email program, watch Kay Kerman's presentation at MediaPost's 2013 Email Insider Summit.
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....