News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
American Airlines email takes off with abandoned cart trigger program
The creation of an automated abandoned shopping cart trigger email program has proved highly successful for American Airlines with conversion, open, and click-through rates substantially higher than for standard fare sale campaigns.
Not everyone that looks online at air travel prices will book straight away. Many are browsing to research and compare prices. However, American Airlines wanted to keep these prospects "engaged and recapture the revenue", so they collaborated with digital marketing solutions firm e-Dialog and created an email program that would do just that.
The resulting abandoned shopping cart trigger email program targets customers who log on to the American Airlines website, place a flight in the shopping cart, but do not go on to make a purchase. Within 24 hours, personalized email messages are sent to the abandoners with the lowest and most flexible fare options relevant to the flights they had placed in the abandoned shopping cart.
The results are impressive. Compared with standard fare sale campaigns the triggered emails resulted in 300% higher open rates, 200% higher click-through rates and 400% higher conversion rates.
"Not only did the Abandoned Cart Program deliver phenomenal results, but the learning it provided on big data analysis is helping us to improve the relevance of all our email programs," said Kay Kerman, Director Email Marketing Strategy at American Airlines.
For more in-depth discussion about the triggered email program, watch Kay Kerman's presentation at MediaPost's 2013 Email Insider Summit.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...